Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

Aloha all,

Back on the mainland for a spell this summer. Need to find an area preferably in the eastern sierras within a day's drive from Vegas that has good to excellent cell access. My wife is the duty officer for her hospital for a week and she has to be accessible 24/7. After that the fetters are off and we're incognito again! Thanks in advance for all the fine answers coming my way! Mahalo......pete
Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:18 PM

Do you have a cell booster?  If not, they will greatly increase the access to the system and increase your areas to go.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

There are some nice little campgrounds on creeks above Lone Pine (Tuttle) and above Independance. These look down slope onto 395 and the towns, so cell service probably reaches them. The volcanic tablelands north of Bishop has good petroglyphs and boondocking but I don't recall about the cell service. Pretty close to town so seems like it should be possible, especiialy if you camp along the ridge over the Owen's River.

BTW, welcome back to the mainland. We are doing the reverse and headed to the islands soon. Aloha.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

The Alabama Hills area outside Lone Pine has some cell coverage, depending on your carrier (I use Verizon). Mammoth Lakes area has coverage, Mono Lake area has coverage, no coverage around Bodie. The Bridgeport area has coverage partially up into the Green Creek area. That's all pretty lonesome country along 395 so cell service is pretty "iffy" in lots of areas. Stay close to towns and you'll be all right.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#5 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:10 AM

Thanks all. I think we'll focus on the mammoth area. I know all the campgrounds will be packed. Might luck out on a first come, first served basis but realistically it's why we all have these rigs eh? To get out back of beyond! Ted, enjoy your stay, looks like Hilda took a pass and that's good news.

#6 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

K6ON, thanks for the info. As we head to mammoth we'll spend some time in Lone Pine country as well. Good advice. I'm excited, haven't seen this country since mid seventies as a kid.

#7 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:06 AM

If you hike to the top of Mammoth rock, it is a great hike and you will have service all the way.

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users