10 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:56 AM

My Father-in-Law reminded me that today is the 70th anniversary of the official end of the Second World War. On September 2, 1945 the Japanese signed the Instrument of Surrender on the deck of the USS Missouri. A 20 year old Marine Corps Corporal in the Pacific, now a ninety year old man, remembers it as if it was yesterday.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:16 AM

Interesting! I'd always though it was 8/15/45, but I guess that was just the formal surrender. Thank goodness for all the Marines, soldiers and sailers of that generation. They have my ultimate respect for the sacrifices they made... for us.

Semper Fi, give your father-in-law my sincere thanks!

I am haunted by waters

#3 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:24 AM

Yes . . . . Semper Fi, and many thanks to your father-in-law and the others of his generation. 

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

I can well imagine a 20-year old Marine corporal remembering the end of the war in the Pacific with absolute clarity, even 70 years later.  Few can imagine the Hell on earth those Marines endured.  Semper Fi.

Foy

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I can well imagine a 20-year old Marine corporal remembering the end of the war in the Pacific with absolute clarity, even 70 years later.  Few can imagine the Hell on earth those Marines endured.  Semper Fi.

Foy

It is difficult to grasp even a fragment of what he (and others) went through. He drove amphtracks, he calls them alligators, in five major invasions including Tinian, Saipan, and Okinawa. His story includes Navajo Code Talkers and being on Tinian when the atomic bomb was loaded onto the Enola Gay. In retirement, he and Mom began attending 2nd battalion annual reunions. He never spoke much about the war years prior to this. Eleven years ago they both attended the 60th anniversary event of the Battle of Saipan. He is one of the few left. Semper Fi.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

If you want to learn more about what the folks in the Pacific went through, read Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed", about his experiences on Peleliu and Okinawa.   The movie "The Pacific" was based largely on this book.   It is hard to understand the horror that our military went through as they fought their way towards Japan.

Semper Fi

I am haunted by waters

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

If you want to learn more about what the folks in the Pacific went through, read Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed", about his experiences on Peleliu and Okinawa.   The movie "The Pacific" was based largely on this book.   It is hard to understand the horror that our military went through as they fought their way towards Japan.

Semper Fi

Absolutely "must reading" for those wanting to learn of the horrors experienced by Marine combat troops in the Pacific.  I have read it twice. 

Foy

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

Semper Fi

Thanks for info, Mr. Sage :)

#9 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

I too, have read that book twice.  The descriptions of the horror, the stench, and the unbelievable conditions that these men endured are more powerful than you can imagine.  Not to hijack, but a quick side story.  My uncle (who lived in New Jersey and has since passed away) was part of the attack on Iwo Jima and he attended unit reunions every two years.  About thirty years ago there reunion was in Oceanside, CA, near Camp Pendleton.  My wife and I lived in southern California at the time and we went down to visit my aunt and uncle on the last day of the reunion at a motel in Oceanside.  At the end of the evening all of these Iwo Jima veterans gathered around the motel swimming pool, held hands, and sang the Marine Corps Hymn.  As I had been a Marine, they allowed me to join the circle.  It was one of the most touching moments of my life.  These guys were truly something! - Semper Fi  

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

Great story, Missing Link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users