69 replies to this topic

#41 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Has your propane flame gone out alot, kodachrome?

I use propane while driving/most of the time after forgetting the 12V system was on a few times while stopping.

I had intended to join the crowd and install a relighter but I found a work around that has worked well without doing much at all/without any expense.

When I winterized the Hawk last Winter I decided to cover the vents with "something" to try to keep the mag chloride out of the mechanics of the fridge. (I leave my camper on full-time)

Being it was election season...there were a plethora of "signs" around. Some of these are paper...some are "coroplast". I found one that was coroplast (that was for the opposing team, LOL...just kidding) and cut a rectangle the size of the louvered door......and taped it in with alum foil tape. I left the top vent open because the road grime rarely travels that high.

The result.....no crud in the fridge compartment....and a fridge that stays lit at 80mph.....pretty much all the time.

Ibn summer I broke the tape loose...but left the coroplast in the compartment....leaning up against the mechanics. The flame rarely goes out..... (except at gas stations where I turn it off myself)

now i see no reason for a relighter.

FWIW....I'm rarely below 7200 ft (my house elevation) and have ahd no problems lighting the fridge since the inintial startup when new. I think the mention in the book of elevation is a CYA on their part.

not sure about the thermostat being uselss on 12V. I run mine full blast most of the time anyway...LOL

I bet yer getting stoked about the journey. We need to have that coffee soon, huh? Posted Image

be well

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#42 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:19 PM

On another note, I was trying to figure out what output or cooling is being done on 12V DC while driving. The manual says that the fridge works on continuous, not via the thermostat like on AC. This is for the Dometic 3-way ( RM-2193 ). So is the thermostat knob ( 0-7 ) non-applicable when using 12 V DC?

The 12V is either on or off. There is one knob for the propane adjustment and the other adjusts the 120V.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#43 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:02 PM

Concur on the knob: AC only. DC is 100%.

Regarding your thermistor. To remove the metal mounting flange, you can take a set of heavy duty wire cutters and just clip the back side, where the metal is thinnest. Forget about trying to grind or drill out the welds on the other side. Just trust me...

Before you reassemble, test to make sure your spark is happening at the center of the chamber. I tried the wacky bend it around job on the wire, but had a hard time getting a good spark. I gave up and snipped the wire shorter, and then bent

I've only used it once since adding the correct thermistor, but it seems to work fine. And installing it was fairly easy.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#44 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Thanks guys, good to clear that up about the 12V DC thing.

Mtn, I have never had my flame go out, but I have also never driven with the gas on either. I thought about the windbreak on the lower vent too, seems logical.

The re-lighter may be one of those gizmo's that is stored in the goody box in the camper until needed. I don't mind the piezoelectric starter except for not knowing if it is running or not in bright light without putting my ear up to it and listening.

Now I wait for the UPS man for my Arctic Pack....

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#45 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

I ordered the auto-relighter today. Last week my red push button kicked my BUT out in the desert trying to light it in the wind!
1999 Grandby FWC

#46 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:52 AM

I received my re-lighter to day and it took me 30 minutes to install. I needed to cut off the factory mount and cut and bend the probe. It took 3 attempts to get the sweet spot. I blew it out and it re-lite every time. It was well worth the $$.

Attached Thumbnails

• P4030030.jpg
  • P4030031.jpg
  • P4030035.jpg
  • P4030037.jpg
  • P4030047.jpg
  • P4030048.jpg

1999 Grandby FWC

#47 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hi everyone, I am beginning to plan some summer trips and my Dometic RM 2191/2193 ALWAYS goes out when I drive, it is in an ATC Bobcat. It sounds like there has been reasonable success by just partially covering the louvered access door, so the flame is less exposed to wind.

I am wondering if this simple fix poses any sort of safety hazard and/or if it would effect the efficiency of the refrigeration system? Can the exhaust still get out?
My camper is not at my house now, so I can just run out and peek and the inner workings of the Dometic.

It seems like I could block 50% of louvers and there would still be a lot of air that could feed the flame.

Obviously I would prefer the free, permanent, easy fix.

Thanks in advance.

#48 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Do the Auto-Relighter mod first. I would be a little leery of blocking airflow to a fridge, especially in hot weather. I have had good luck keeping the flame going in all but HEAVY head and cross winds (40+ mph) with the relighter.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#49 MidnightRider

MidnightRider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles California

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I had the problem of the pilot goin out when driving on the highway.

My solution was to wedge a pie tin in there in front of the louvered door to block some air. Id take a picture but you get the idea. Works great and free.

I do try to remember to turn off the fridge and relight it after getting fuel. The pilot is only about 3 feet away from the fuel filler on my truck.

#50 brp

brp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

Maybe it would be smart to put something on your gas filler door or on the door release that would remind you to put out the flame when getting gas. A piece of duct tape on the filler door, like a string around your finger. I could see how the vapor could easily build up in the fridge compartment and then you've got problems if your fridge is lit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users