Photo
- - - - -

Monitoring (Trimetric) charging new battery with Renogy Flex panel after 15 hour Fridge discharge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

With all the problems many of you are having with your  Renogy solar panels I wanted to discharge than charge the new battery with our Renogy solar only to see if I have a problem also.

September has the sun angle lower in the sky than on June 22 nd. I don't know what that angle is. In my chart I'm guessing the sun position as points on a curve moving left to right ( NE - SW) with the truck not quite perpendicular to the suns track facing south....and the street is not level. I'm about a "half a bubble" up in front with a 36" level. I'm guessing the angle is 20*

We replaced the battery on September 2nd and started the test September 4th by running the "Engle"

compressor Fridge ( draws 2.5 amps. Average hour draw 1.5 amps) 15 hours in the carport with solar panel covered. We continued to run the fridge all Saturday while solar charging.

Saturday morning when I started the motor to move the truck out into the sun, I checked the Trimetric. The alternator was putting 9 amps into the battery for about 5 minutes before it was positioned. So the truck alternator is performing well too.

Solar panel did not completely top off the battery before the sun dropped behind the hill to our west about 4:15 pm. I started the engine to put truck back in carport and truck alternator increased the voltage to 14 topping the battery to 100%

Battery monitor is the Trimetric TM-2030-RV

My conclusion: New battery performing like old battery (same make and model)it did on our last trip - June 20th. Solar panel is performing as well as it was this time last year. Panel is rated at 5.8 amps which we are only going to get June 22nd in full sun on a flat street with the battery at 70-80% full.

I feel comfortable that I am ready for all my desert trips this winter. .

CHART

I took a photo of the chart and inserted it as follows:

Typo: At the 6:30 am  line,  the Amp reading should read " minus  0.8 "

gallery_2684_767_177986.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 08 September 2015 - 01:24 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:08 PM

Jim, if it's relatively small, try doing a screen print, then loading it as a photo.

I am haunted by waters

#3 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

I have the hard renolgy panel and have had no issues. Is this a flex issue only?

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

Yes Bob its the Flexible 4 pound panel NOT the rigid type. I recently heard that Renogy is offering a 5% discount on all their panels, however haven't confirmed by checking their website.

Jim

#5 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:19 AM

The main reason I went with the rigid panel was I thought it made sense to have an elevated panel to allow for cooling.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by BobM, 07 September 2015 - 02:19 AM.

#6 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:23 AM

The main reason I went with the rigid panel was I thought it made sense to have an elevated panel to allow for cooling.

I have two flexible Renogy panel on elevated mounts. Renogy recommends at least 1/2" between the panel and mounting surface. My goals were weight reduction while increasing charging capacity.

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:39 PM

Figured a "work-around to insert the chart.

Jim

#8 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Jim - thanks for posting that data.  I don't want to hijack your thread, but I think it confirms that I still have a problem.  When my batteries get in the mid 80% level, I will see 10 to 14 amps at the roof plug, but .5 to 4 amps at the Trimetric.  I thought it might be that the batteries are getting "full", thus not pushing as many amps.  But at this same level you are at high amps for your one panel, so with my 300w I should be much higher than I am seeing.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

Don, I will add my post as a link in yours as a reply to your thread for everyones reference.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users