58 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Congrats on your purchase. I have a set of nesting cookware similar to this https://jet.com/prod...6E98aAjw78P8HAQ that I supplement with a few additional pieces. Very compact. I'd do cast iron if it wasn't so bulky.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

Welcome.Sounds like a great build.You will get

many ,many years of enjoyment from it.

Now the wait.

Post pics ASAP.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:04 PM

MSR Alpine 4 Pot set for me - very versatile - I use the biggest pot for lots of things other than cooking - salad bowl, washing veggies etc. and a cheap teflon fry pan works best - but i don't cook fancy

#14 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:51 AM

Thanks to all for the replies and well wishes!

I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and other areas in anticipation of the new FWC Hawk Shell (with a lot of options).  It is supposed to be on the November shipment to Wisconsin!  Although, November is a very busy month for me, and I probably won't have time until sometime in December to make the 4 hour trek the Milwaukee area to have Sean do the install.

As far as the cookware question in my OP:  I am leaning toward the MSR Quick 2 or 4.  Have to do a little more research.  Also considering the MSR Alpine deluxe kitchen set.

Here is what I have done so far:

• A lot of research on the electrical system for charging the dual batteries.  Decided a Trimetric 2030 battery meter was a must have, otherwise kind of like driving your truck without a functional gas gauge.  Bought a kit that included the shunt, 2/0 negative cable, and other necessary wiring and it arrived today.  Seriously considering solar and looking at either the Morningstar Prostar or Bogart Engineering SC2030 as the solar controller and Renogy 100W hard panel as a moveable panel (lots of trees in the upper midwest).  Plan on storing the panel under the bed section over the cab (another project).  Unfortunately, my garage where the camper will be stored is quite shaded and fixing a solar panel on the roof to keep the batteries topped off is not really an option.  So looking at the Noco Genius G7200 Ultra Safe Smart Battery Charger to keep the batteries topped off when in storage.
  • Installed Super Springs on the truck the other day to add another 900 lb capacity.  Install took about 2 hours.  Hardest part was getting the wheels off (they sure torqued the lug nuts on tight enough!).  Trying to get away from the airbags, but might add them later if necessary.  Next truck will be back to a 3/4 ton like my last was instead of the current 1/2 ton.
  • Built a dolly today to store the camper on and be able to move it around in the garage (8' door) when it happens to be in the way of another project.  Below is a picture of the dolly made of 2x6's and 3/8 CDX top and bottom (built like a stud wall with cross pieces at about 16" on center) with 5" swivel castors from Northern Tool and sits about 12 inches high. It stows nicely under my boat trailer out of the way when not in use.  Hopefully I can drop the camper down that low, because I would like to be able to pop the top up in my 9 ft garage.  My buddy is trying out the new dolly in the photo.

Before I finish, can someone point me to a thread that assists in posting links to other websites when a specific product is mentioned?  I tried that here, but got caught in an endless loop and had to start my post allover again.  Thanks much for all the input and thanks to WTW for this forum!

Attached Thumbnails

• Complete up high.jpg

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#15 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Love the dog

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#16 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:38 PM

I have the MSR Base 2 pot set and a Flex skillet. I also have a GSR Outdoors tea kettle.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#17 Dphillip

Dphillip

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

Awesome dog! The dolly is inice too.
Omaha Nebraska

#18 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

You might want to add height to the dolly so you only have to raise or lower 2"-3". I'm not sure you can lower the camper that low. I think you might find it is a PITA. I store mine on 3/4" X's with a 4'X8' sheet of plywood and only have to raise it a short distance

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#19 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:35 PM

Longhorn1:  Yes, I am aware of the PITA regarding lowering and raising the jacks, but I want to be able to pop the top up occasionally when stored in the garage.  As it is now, the dolly is a little more than 12" above the garage floor.  I can add some more height to the dolly easily if necessary.  My garage has 9' ceiling.  BTW, what is the total height when the top is up?  I plan on taking off the Yak racks to get through the 8' door.

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#20 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

Our dolly is very similar to yours, for the same reason. We store the camper popped up in the garage, although we only have a 7' door. I marked a line on the jacks so I know how high to crank them up when I want to put the camper back on the truck. It doesn't take too long to raise it up.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users