• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

I made a trip down to Colorado for a 4 day weekend last June. Met up with a few friends in their well outfitted Toyotas and Land Rovers, for a couple of trail runs above Leadville, CO and to hike up Mt. Elbert. At 14,433ft. Mt. Elbert is the second highest peak in the continental US.

It was a great trip on some fairly challenging trails with a few snowdrift crossings. Most other attendees sport roof top tents, I was the only one with an actual camper. Didn't hamper me a bit and the heater was a big plus in the chilly evenings. An article on this trip was recently published in the Jan. '07 issue of Off Road magazine. A few pics of the adventure -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:31 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And on the way out of Leadville, I spied a classic. Sitting in the lot of a diesel repair shop was the Turtle III. Formerly owned by Gary & Monika Wescott of Turtle Expeditions, it was this couple who first got me interested in self contained overland travel and Four Wheel Campers. They have built several Turtles (diesel Ford's with a FWC) over the years and have taken them across Mexico, Central America, even Siberia! Quite a treat to see in person.

Posted Image

photos #5 (me) & #7 (recovery) courtesy Brian DeArmon

#3 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:43 AM

KC, as always, a great thread...I am new over hear so its fun to check out some of these old threads. Memorial day is coming up...are you heading back to Beartooth Pass? Still good skiing up there. We will be up there for sure. Do you know anything about that rack on the back of Turtle's 4 wheel? Cheers.

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:44 AM

thanx for bumping that thread erod...very cool!!!

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:24 AM

Wow, great photos, love the one of the camper and the mountains in the background.

The turtle photo brings back some memories too.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#6 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

I have viewed this thread a number of times and still enjoy the GREAT photos. Just wonder what it would be like to camp in a tent mounted on the TOP of rig. Seems like a long drop, if you roll out half asleep. I also got interested in the FWC while viewing the Wescott's website. I was lucky enough to go on a Baja Adventure with Gary and Monica. What an Adventure! Really great people. Might have to try to get to Colorado this summer. If I don't need to purchase stock in oil first...;)

#7 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

Wow, always good to check those photos out again.

Anyhow, I was looking at some new maps from the AAA today of the Pacific Northwest....

Now that the camper is operational, and the weather is getting so good...was wondering how I would find out about cool roads and areas to travel onto? I'd love to go out in eastern WA and OR and check out the vistas. Plus, it is nice out there in fall and spring when it is often still rainy here in the Puget Sound. I'd love to try cool roads, paved or dirt, just for the vistas. Of course, would love to camp anywhere with the FWC!

Any ideas? Any books? Trip reports?

thanks

Dave

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Oops see below..

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

Capt,
I had a thing called a Bivouac I imported from Italy about 25 years back. I had 5 sold 2 and 3 pals and I used the remainder. Mine was mounted on a full ladder rack with an auxillary gas tank over a snug top on my Nissan Xtra cab. Drove the crap out of it all over Mexico and the south west. It was kinda cool to be able to load the truck and still climb up and go to sleep out of the elements but I'm old now and I drinks a bit. The link below is what it looked like.

http://www.loftyshel.../IndexFrame.htm

#10 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:55 PM

daveinski, you should think about checking this place out, 20 + mi dirt road, great drive...really cool!

http://www.nwhotspri...et/goldmyer.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users