10 replies to this topic

#1 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

I have a late model Tundra. If I bought a used Four Wheel camper, what would I need to do to mount it to my truck? How are they mounted from the factory? I would get airbags too. Thanks

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

For the Toyotas, I believe there is a kit from the factory that strengthens the composite bed.   Otherwise, it is secured by four eyebolts through the bed, that are then connected to the camper by turnbuckles.   If you want charging from the truck, you will need to run an electrical circuit from the battery to the left side of the bed.   FWC uses Attwood trolling motor connectors to mate the camper to the truck.   

I would give the folks at FWC a call to get specifics.

I am haunted by waters

#3 anonymous

anonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

For the Toyotas, I believe there is a kit from the factory that strengthens the composite bed.   Otherwise, it is secured by four eyebolts through the bed, that are then connected to the camper by turnbuckles.   If you want charging from the truck, you will need to run an electrical circuit from the battery to the left side of the bed.   FWC uses Attwood trolling motor connectors to mate the camper to the truck.   

I would give the folks at FWC a call to get specifics.

Thanks. No composite bed. Anyone have pictures of the eyebolts/turnbuckles?

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

If you are over age 60 and/or  have a bad lower back I would advise either

bolting the camper down or buying the external "Tiedown System"  and the  "Torqlift " turnbuckle systems.

For me over age 70 getting my body in a position to tighten or loosen the inside turnbuckles  was impossible

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 October 2015 - 06:17 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:24 PM

You should find 4 eye rings on the bottom of one of the plywood steps that make up the base of your camper. As Wandering Sage states, turnbuckles are used to tie these to large eye bolts that are installed in the corners of the truck bed. There are many many threads here on WTW that cover the subject.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

I have a 2010 Tundra Double Cab with a 2014 Hawk. I had FWC install the camper. The installer had a diagram with dimensions where to put the turnbuckle eyebolts in the truck bed. It was apparent that Jay had installed more than one FWC as he had little wasted effort in mounting the camper or running the wiring.

Access to the turnbuckles depends on whether you have front-mounted, side-mounted dinette, or full length couch. On my front mounted dinette, rear turnbuckles are accessed while laying on the floor but front turnbuckles are accessed through a panel under the dinette seats.

Contact FWC with info on your Tundra year & model and camper year & model to get mounting hardware & instruction if you do it yourself. I would increase the truck to camper wire gauge to 4 or 6 to ensure low voltage drop. The factory 10 gauge is too small in my opinion. Read the threads on battery charging/isolator and decide for yourself.

Welcome, good luck, & let us know about your experience if doing it yourself.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:40 PM

I did the install myself.  Had to get a couple of longer turnbuckles than what the previous owner had in order to use the recommended spacing from the FWC website.  I bought the eyebolts from the local Fasteners as I was able to get Grade 5  there, I think they called them elevator bolts, about 3/8" diameter if memory serves (see geezer thread).

I wired mine up running the wire inside the frame most of the way and then bringing it through the forward part of the bed at one of the rubber plugs but this year haven't even connected the wiring to the truck because the solar does such a great job so if it already has solar or you're going to install right away you might be able to save yourself some time there.

Edited by Cayuse, 06 October 2015 - 10:40 PM.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#8 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:58 AM

I love my camper but installing the turnbuckles or loosening them is a pain in the rear.  I have a couple of hunts still to do this fall and I just plan on leaving it on until the beginning of December.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#9 thatsatechnique

thatsatechnique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationSammamish, WA

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444589040.960818.jpg

Here's an example of how NOT to mount it. As my dealer used that as a mount point, I didn't really question it. In all fairness, I have had the camper on since purchase and have taken some pretty sweet jumps :). Putting in new eye bolts now...

-CHRIS

Instagram: @thatsatechnique

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

2014 FWC Hawk

#10 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:32 PM

hey ribs , i know of two campers mounted like that too and they never had any problems, i had mine like that for some time and no trouble ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users