Photo
- - - - -

Carrying a motorcycle on the back of the truck with a FWC, the numbers.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:30 PM

I have been curious for some time about loading my motorcycle on the back of my truck. I have had all the stuff to do it I just never had time. Yesterday I had the time so I got it done. 

My truck is a 05 Tundra DC with D rated tires and Firestone air bags, the air bags were set at 25 pounds. The camper is the base package and loaded for hunting. I only had 3/4 of a tank of gas so that would affect the weight as well. The scale measured in 20 pound increments.  The square tube was too short. The handle bar hit the camper. I had a step that I bought for the camper that was rated for use as a hitch extender so I used it. In all it is a little loose, so I used a ratchet strap to tighten the slop in the hitch.

From what the numbers are I am 679 pounds over weight from what it says in the door. It rode okay but I don't think I would want to carry it much like this it is a little creepy. The service manager at Toyota said I would be fine but I worry about it a little. But here are the numbers. 

My truck weighs 5200 empty

the camper empty is 1280 pounds.

Loaded and ready for camping my truck weighs 6700

front axle loaded is 3100

rear axle is 3680

Now with the camper and Motorcycle. The Motorcycle is a xr250l and it weighs 280 pounds like it is. 

Total weight 7300 pounds.

Front Axle  2900

Back Axle  4420

Img_1771_zpsqagazzz6.jpg

Img_1772_zpsdhyoquox.jpg

IMG_1770_zpstbdoqohw.jpg

Img_1769_zpspqwerfij.jpg

#2 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

You also have to consider how far the motorcycle weight is to the rear of the axle.  I'm conservative when it comes to the amount of weight on my truck, but I'd be nervous driving on a windy road, let alone what would happen on the highway if you had to make an emergency maneuver. 

#3 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

I'm always interested in the subject of GVWR. I've been involved in forum discussions (maybe here on WTW--I don't recall exactly where) where "running heavy" is concerned.  The discussion usually focuses on how aftermarket springs and/or air bags can provide adequate support for truck campers and how drivability, etc, works out.

The issue I'm most interested in, however, is legal liability.  I wonder how much my liability carrier, or somebody else's carrier, may focus on my actual running weight in the event of a wreck.  I have nightmare-ish thoughts of an insurer seeing that I was running heavy and giving me the heave-ho on covering a claim. 

This is entirely relevant to my current set-up.  My truck is a "one ton", an F350 single rear wheel.  So that means "the sky is the limit" or nearly so, right?  Wrong.  My GVWR is 9,900 lbs.  The wet but empty weight of the vehicle is around 7,400 lbs (long bed, Crew Cab, 4WD, and diesel engine all add up to mondo weight).  That leaves me, if I understand legally rated limits correctly, with a grand total of 2,500 lbs worth of fuel, passengers, and gear before I'm "running heavy".  The fiberglass topper and my normal array of stuff ("junk", according to The Missus--who does not appreciate the potential value of a 4-ton come-along, 50' of logging chain, a chain saw, etc, etc, etc) brings my weight up to 8,400 lbs BEFORE I add coolers, fishing and camping gear, and the like.

So, does that strike a nerve with you, idahoron, or anybody else who runs a truck camper?  Does anybody have any real-world experience with outcomes related to running heavy, being in a wreck, and having an insurer or a plaintiff's lawyer question the legality of the rig?

Foy

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Our first truck/camper was a Hawk on a 2000 Tundra. It rode well and always took us where we wanted to go. but we did go through two sets of rear axle bearings. Not being a home mechanic, that cost us a pretty penny. The tundra was remodeled between 2000 and 2005, so the bearings may be a better design on yours. But the added weight that far behind the rear axle would cause me concern.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:20 PM

I agree, that far back has me a little worried. 

#6 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:00 PM

Foy, based on my experience, it is not a concern; however, you may have a different experience and insurance is state specific (whew, is that a legal disclaimer :) ).

A liability claim would be paid and then your carrier would drop your coverage on that vehicle in that configuration.  As liability is a third party coverage, you paid the premium, so the insurance carrier would be on the hook.  If your liability exceeded your coverage limits you would be on the hook for that portion of the claim or lawsuit, but that would happen anyway.  Once they paid the claim though, they would likely "red flag" that policy and it would not be re-written as it wouldn't meet the definition of an insured vehicle (or some other definition or fraud clause).

Edited to add:  as an aside, a number of insurance policies defined an insured vehicle (paraphrasing here) as a personal vehicle with a GVWR of less than 10,000.  So, at least until fairly recently, F250s were insurable and F350 were not (unless you bought the F350 with the 9.9k or 10k package, whatever they call it...which Ford offers on F350 trucks).  No underwriters or insurance carriers realized (or cared) that truck manufacturers were manufacturing their trucks with GVWR of over 10k lbs and that the policy language was out of date.  An astute (or so I'll call him) insurance professional brought this to the attention of a manager of a well known insurance claims office.  He was advised it doesn't make a bit of difference, that everyone knows an F350 can be a personal "insured vehicle" and that there was no reason to make a big deal about it.  Whether the language was ever updated, I'll probably never know, but I do know that vehicle weight did not impact paying liability claims.

Edited by Ace!, 07 October 2015 - 11:09 PM.

#7 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:30 AM

Thanks ACE!. I am more worried about the stress on the truck than the stress on the insurance. The only time I could see my self using this in this configuration I would be loading it up going to the hills and then ride. I doubt I would drive more than 100 miles one way loaded like this. But I am still worried about it. 

#8 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:48 AM

Hey Ron, I just saw someone with the same basic setup of a hawk on a 1/2 ton and a motorcycle on the back although it was closer to the camper. It did seem a bit back heavy though. I not sure if they had airbags or what..It was at the east expo last week and I was working, and was unable to study it more. Hi everyone😀
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#9 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:17 AM

I get it Ron, I was just responding to Foy's concern.  I anticipate doing what you're doing, but have a F250.  Your picture does look further back than I expected and I understand your concern.

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

With your weight distribution maybe consider putting the bike on the front? But it seems like the numbers don't add up. If the bike weighs 270 lbs why does it add 600 lbs to the rig? I'm probably reading it wrong.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users