• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:11 AM

Has anyone mounted a non-OEM camera to a late model Ram using the original OEM connection. I really miss not having a camera. Looks like I could buy an OEM camera for around $173.00 and could build a mount, looking for an easier way.

Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#2 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:03 AM

I'm just trying to find a bracket to mount the stock one under my camper.  I pulled it out of the tailgate without an issue but I'm no fabricator so I'm waiting for something to fall in my lap that will work. 

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#3 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:17 AM

Check out Cubby Cam. He did a camera with OEM connector for my Chevy so I could use the factory wiring.

#4 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:12 AM

I emailed Cubbycam and they only do Chevy/GMC vehicles. Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#5 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

This is what I did.

NOT part #68200274-AA. That part number is a six pin plug/wiring harness and everything on the back of the truck is eight pins.

https://flic.kr/p/AqjWcm

Not it! That is the 10 foot extension that is intended to run to the back of a chassis model however, I believe the reason it is only six pins is because it doesn't need the additional wires for the locking tailgate.

So you need the entire OEM wiring harness which is part #68189124-AB and #68224929-AA. One connects to the truck bed (after you have removed the tailgate) and then the other completes the connection to the camera (which is normally INSIDE the tailgate). Don't ask why they needed to make this harness in to two pieces. Don't think that was necessary but that's what made it work.

https://flic.kr/p/AqjWcm

I labeled the harnesses with letters so it's easier to show them to you. A and C comes together as 68224929-AA. You discard C as you don't need it for anything (except maybe spare parts). B is normally the part that is inside your tailgate. I have already installed the camera (part number 56038978-A3) at the end of harness B.

I plugged everything in and I have confirmed rear camera image on my in dash display. Yay! So now all I have to do is strip off the unnecessary wire harness which is for the power lock on the tail gate, fashion a mount for the outside of my camper, duplicating the height and angle of the existing camera, hide all the ugly wires in a conduit of some sort, and it will be beer time!

#6 Mic

Mic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:14 AM

Rocky Mountain campers sent me a camera with the plug in that plugs right into my Tacoma camera plug! Basically factory to factory in looks and easy!!!!

Sure is sweet when hooking up a trailer!!! 

#7 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:31 AM

I did about what northshorehenry did - I got the factory camera for about 80 on ebay and the stock tailgate and connector pieces.  All in I think was was under 150.  Plugs into the factory plug and made a simple mount for the back of my camper.  Even with the 2' overhang had plenty of wire using stock pieces.  Sure do like having the back up camera.

I've still got the plug that unlocks the tailgate.  I'm trying to figure out what to do with that.  Thinking of setting up a relay and flood light in the back.  On the to do list.  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#8 downhiller37

downhiller37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Location47°28`55" N, 11°06`11" E

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Rocky Mountain campers sent me a camera with the plug in that plugs right into my Tacoma camera plug! Basically factory to factory in looks and easy!!!!

Sure is sweet when hooking up a trailer!!! 

What camera? What price? Any pics?

#9 coguzzi

coguzzi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

I basically did the same thing as northshorhenry, bought all the wiring harness's and camera from the RAM dealer, rolled it into my purchase price when i bought the truck, but roughly $200. TOTAL plug and play set up. i made a quick and dirty license plate mount to test the angle and all that before i went on a trip. was supposed to just be a test bracket, but it works fine and is still there 6 months later. this is the cheapest option out there for the RAM trucks, and its 100% factory

ps--could also drill a hole in the plastic part of the bumper left or right of the license plate and mount the camera there, slightly off center, but really clean. ive considered it, but my set up works just fine

Edited by coguzzi, 15 November 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#10 BWSracing

BWSracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:03 AM

Does anyone have pictures of a completed and installed camera on a ram?

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Backup, camera, ram, dodge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users