• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:46 PM

I've thought long and hard about this, and its time to take the digital plunge.  Better late to the dance than not showing up at all.

I'm a many, many decades Lieca shooter.  I have a sizeable investment in film Leicas/accessories that will likely be buried with me.  I would go with a digital Leica, but, being retired, the required investment is simply not in the budget.

At any rate, I'm looking for a digital range finder style body without a lot of features.  I'd like to keep the price for a body below $1500.  I'm primarily a landscape and people working image chaser.

Mountains of articles have been written about what to buy.  But, I thought with all the excellent photographers posting here, someone would have that nugget of advice that points me in the right direction.

Thanks for any advice!

South Carolina Low Country.  

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:17 PM

Dang, you put a dollar limit on it...

Take a peek at the Sonys. Their a7II Alpha mirrorless looks interesting to me. It's full frame (e.g. The sensor is approx the same size as a 35mm slide), has very good resolution at 24 mega pickles, internal image stabilization, and a good reputation. I suspect this is the same sensor that Nikon used in their D3x. ISO is 100 to 25,600.

I'm a Nikon guy, but Sony, Canon, and others are all nice. Spend money on your lenses, but you already know that...

I am haunted by waters

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

The Sony a7 bodies seem to be right up there with Nikon 810 for full frame. But glass is pricey and limited. Fuji has an excellent collection of fast lenses on APS-C sensor with well regarded rendering and colors. XE1 XE2 and XT-1 allow for interchangeable lenses with rangefinder style bodies with real knobs for shutter speed and aperture rings on most lenses. MF can be enjoyable with split screen or peak focusing. I love the retro look and functionality. That said, the menus are daunting and it paid to read the manual and watch YouTube videos to really learn the system. You could put together a kit within your budget.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:19 AM

My wife's Nikon takes good pictures.  She bought it a while ago, it's a D5300.  It was inexpensive, relatively anyway.  I've been very impressed with it.  If we were buying a new camera, it would be a Nikon...D5500 or D7100 or whatever the newest equivalent.

On the other end of the spectrum, I carry an Olympus TG3.  I've dropped it, kicked it, had it underwater, you name it.  About the only thing I haven't done is light it on fire...and I won't, at least not on purpose.  It takes very good (no, not in the same class as my wife's Nikon) point and shoot pics at a fraction of the cost.

#5 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

Thanks info gents!

Yes, the majority of the budget will go to glass.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#6 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

Look for a good used D700, great camera and excellent high ISO performer.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:28 PM

Look for a good used D700, great camera and excellent high ISO performer.

I made the mistake of selling both of my D700s.   It's still my favorite!   

I am haunted by waters

#8 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:15 AM

I made the mistake of selling both of my D700s. It's still my favorite!

I sold mine too and wish I still had it.
Charlie...
Stalking Light

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:03 AM

I've thought long and hard about this, and its time to take the digital plunge.  Better late to the dance than not showing up at all.

I'm a many, many decades Lieca shooter.  I have a sizeable investment in film Leicas/accessories that will likely be buried with me.  I would go with a digital Leica, but, being retired, the required investment is simply not in the budget.

At any rate, I'm looking for a digital range finder style body without a lot of features.  I'd like to keep the price for a body below $1500.  I'm primarily a landscape and people working image chaser.

Mountains of articles have been written about what to buy.  But, I thought with all the excellent photographers posting here, someone would have that nugget of advice that points me in the right direction.

Thanks for any advice!

Many good choices. I'm partial to mirrorless systems (Fuji, Lumix, Olympus and Sony). They all have rangefinder style models with the capability of using your old Leica lenses with an adapter. Lumix and Leica have a close working relationship (see http://www.soundimag...sonic-and-leica) which might appeal to you. The Lumix GX8 is an outstanding camera that even features the Leica symbol on the front. Some landscape photographers will roll their eyes at the micro four-thirds format but objectively it has proven to be very capable, as has the APS-C format. 

Another approach you could take is to get a used Leica M8 that would fit your budget. What it lacks in specs it may make up for in familiarity. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#10 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

On the micro 4/3 front, I have a Lumix GH3 in addition to my Nikons (D800's and D4s). The GH3 is a great little camera and I use it a lot as a carry around and hiking setup. I have lenses to cover a wide range of focal lengths, and even my 100-300mm (200-600mm equiv) is easy to hand hold.

I don't consider it a complete replacement for my full frame cameras but it's easy to have handy and a lot of times photos are more about the camera you have with you than the cameras you own.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users