• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

I just bought this lens yesterday so that I could have a more versatile "walking around" lens.  I know theses all in one lenses have their shortcomings, but I'm not a pro and I can't see spending thousands of dollars on lenses for the type of photos I take.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens?  It was $450.00, but has a $50.00 mail in rebate, but I can't return the lens once I've claimed the rebate, so I have two weeks to test drive it before the rebate ends.

Attached File  tamron-18-270.jpg   54.46K   4 downloads

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

I have not used this particular lens but I have had a couple of Tamron zooms in the past. They were acceptable all-around lenses for daylight shooting. However, they developed sloppy focusing and zoom creep after a few years. Not really worth repairing given the low cost and plastic parts. To be fair I'm kind of rough on equipment.  ;)

Make sure the lens works well with your camera at all focal lengths: reasonable distortion and flare, consistent focusing, and proper electrical connections. For reference the going price for a new lens on eBay appears to be $350. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#3 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:33 PM

I have not used this particular lens but I have had a couple of Tamron zooms in the past. They were acceptable all-around lenses for daylight shooting. However, they developed sloppy focusing and zoom creep after a few years. Not really worth repairing given the low cost and plastic parts. To be fair I'm kind of rough on equipment.  ;)

Make sure the lens works well with your camera at all focal lengths: reasonable distortion and flare, consistent focusing, and proper electrical connections. For reference the going price for a new lens on eBay appears to be $350. 

The new Tamron lenses have a simple slide lock that prevents lens creep (a problem I had with zoom lenses too).  I was told that, for whatever it's worth, some of these lenses sold online are an older version and some are refurbished.  With the rebate, it's only $400.  I plan to give it a good workout, but so far, so good.  It's super quiet and fast to focus, but it does need a lot of light.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users