• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hi all, I've just broken the front left hold down eyelet on my 2010 Eagle, I've replaced these before but not the front left one and am having trouble figuring out how to access the thing. Seems like I'm going to have to disassemble the water tank cabinetry or something. Anybody know the best way to get at this?

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#2 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:59 AM

All right then, since nobody responded I'll assume that nobody knew the answer so I'll post what I discovered here in case it's helpful to the next guy who breaks the front left hold down eyelet on their Eagle.

There's a thin bit of fascia just left of the "settee" that's held in place by 2 phillips screws, remove these and a vertical screw in the gap between the cabinet and the front bulkhead and you now have access that any smaller than average 9 year old can make good use of. The gap is 1 3/4" high and, fortunately, my wife was able to reach in and replace the threaded portion that the eyelet fastens to. I was able to get my hand in up until just past the base of the thumb.

But we're good to go now and headed to Death Valley tomorrow. Keep on good terms with the neighborhood kids in case you need to replace this bit. Cheers,,,,,,,

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:12 AM

What is an "eyelet"; please describe.

Thanks.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

What is an "eyelet"; please describe.

Thanks.

Phil, it's a bolt that you attach the tie down turnbuckle to. There are four on the camper, and you'll have four in your truck bed.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Ah, a threaded "I" [eye] bolt...got it.  Thanks.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:32 AM

I'd have reposted my repairs but I figured a 2010 wouldn't be the same. I think I was right. Glad you got it done.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 04:05 AM

Thanks guys. It is fixed and we got off in good order. Currently "camped" in the Amargosa Valley just outside Death Valley Nat. Park on the Daylight Pass Road. Off to Titus Canyon and Thimble Peak in the morning.

#8 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

All right then, since nobody responded I'll assume that nobody knew the answer so I'll post what I discovered here in case it's helpful to the next guy who breaks the front left hold down eyelet on their Eagle.

There's a thin bit of fascia just left of the "settee" that's held in place by 2 phillips screws, remove these and a vertical screw in the gap between the cabinet and the front bulkhead and you now have access that any smaller than average 9 year old can make good use of. The gap is 1 3/4" high and, fortunately, my wife was able to reach in and replace the threaded portion that the eyelet fastens to. I was able to get my hand in up until just past the base of the thumb.

But we're good to go now and headed to Death Valley tomorrow. Keep on good terms with the neighborhood kids in case you need to replace this bit. Cheers,,,,,,,

full?d=0

Just went through this in my Eagle.  Once you get the 1 3/4" fascia board removed you can remove the four screws that secure the board covering the water tank.  Once that board is removed there's plenty of room to reach in and remove/replace the broken carriage bolt.

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#9 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

Are these "Eyelets" sub-standard quality in your opinion?

Seems as though something else would give 1st.  :huh:

#10 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

The "original" or older camper attachment for the turnbuckles was a simple eye bolt/washer which had two different failure mechanisms:

1. Bending the eye bolt which would be a sign of too low a grade or too small a size.

2. Pulling the eye bolt and wood apart which was seen as too much force applied to too small an area of wood.

The current camper attachment for the turnbuckles on our camper is a bracket with two bolts going through the wood and so the load is distributed to more wood and the bracket is sized much larger than the old eye bolt. 

Camper attachment and turnbuckle loading/forces can be extremely high under some dynamic situations.  If the truck frame flexes while traversing uneven terrain at high speed then the entire truck flex force goes to the camper tie down system since the lower camper is shaped like a wood box plus the tie down system has the camper forces applied (i.e. the tie down system needs to keep the camper on the truck while the truck frame flexes while going over uneven terrain at speed).  Slower speeds allow more of the flex force to be managed by the truck suspension system.  What is too fast?  Every truck and terrain are different and so no easy answer.  Shimming the truck camper at the wheel wells and having good positive contact between the camper and the front of the truck bed help reduce the load on the camper tie down system as does slowing down.  Spring loaded tie down systems are another option but they need to be adjusted to the correct tension for the conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users