• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a quality ice chest for our camper.

Is anyone using Canyon Coolers out there?

They're about $100 less than a comparable Yeti and they're made here in the USA in Flagstaff, AZ 

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#2 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:18 AM

I have used Canyon coolers side by side with Yetis on Grand Canyon raft trips, my personal observation is the Yetis are stronger and better designed. We have had latches fail on Canyon coolers, none so far on the Yeti.

These coolers are much better in holding ice than the normal brand name coolers.

These trips last 18 to 21 days and are about the ultimate cooler test. We can have ice up to day 18 with good cooler management. I think they both hold ice equally well, I just like the seals, hinges, and latches on the Yeti better.

Dsrtrat

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:30 AM

Check out Bison coolers as well. Made in the U.S.A.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:35 AM

I have used Canyon coolers side by side with Yetis on Grand Canyon raft trips, my personal observation is the Yetis are stronger and better designed. We have had latches fail on Canyon coolers, none so far on the Yeti.

These coolers are much better in holding ice than the normal brand name coolers.

These trips last 18 to 21 days and are about the ultimate cooler test. We can have ice up to day 18 with good cooler management. I think they both hold ice equally well, I just like the seals, hinges, and latches on the Yeti better.

Dsrtrat

Hey Dsrtrat,

You say you have had latches fail. Were you able to get replacement parts and make repairs?

#5 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:36 AM

Check out Bison coolers as well. Made in the U.S.A.

Never heard of Bison. Do you have one? The closest retailer to me is in Bakersfield about 170mi away.

#6 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:11 AM

Here is an interesting side by side comparison of several brands. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#7 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

You can get replacement parts. As I said these coolers are abused. They are dropped when full, used as raft seats, walked on, jumped on, dragged over rocks.

The latches on the Canyon are a stainless hasp type of latch while the Yeti has a rubber latch that is less prone to breakage if hit when open. Either one would work well in normal use.

One thing to keep in mind is that the capacity in quarts is all over the place in coolers. The only real way to make a capacity comparison it to measure the interior volume by filling it with water and metering how much is used.

The video fails to take this into account as the smaller coolers will have less air space to cool for a equal volume of ice. Also set them in the full sun and see which has a better insulated lid.

The Canyon tends to be taller for its volume than the Yeti, The Yeti is heavier, but they are both way heavy compared to the other coolers. My 150 yeti weighs 46# empty. The high end coolers usually have ABS interiors making them sturdier and easier to clean.

If I was buying a smaller cooler I don't think I would spend money on a high end cooler unless it was going to be abused. That said I have a 50 Quart Yeti that I really like just because I sometimes use it on a raft and want something that holds up. 

Where high end coolers outperform is in the larger sizes. A 150 qt Yeti works better than a 120 Yeti in the side by side real world conditions I have witnessed, while a 205 Canyon had ice longer than either of the Yeti's in a recent Grand Canyon trip. It's all related to surface area vs ice capacity. 

Dsrtrat

Edited by dsrtrat, 22 November 2015 - 05:24 PM.

#8 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for you input Dsrtrat you are a wealth of real world information.

I'm looking for something in the 50 to 75 qt. capacity. From the research that I've done to date, product comparisons indicate the Canyon Coolers have the highest interior volume capacities by water fill method.

This cooler would live in the back of my ATC Panther and will not be exposed to significant abuse. I'll use it for perishable food storage only. A typical "long range" journey would be in the 5 to 10 day range.

We usually do meal prep (pre-cook) beginning a week before of our trip and seal in Food Saver vacuum bags then freeze. Same with any uncooked meat. Fresh produce is pre-chilled then stowed in insulated reflectix type bags (scored these from Blue Apron, very handy). Always pre-cool ice chest, pack meals in order of consumption and minimize air space.

Beverages are stowed in my el cheapo Igloo cooler. Melted ice water keeps my beer cold enough.

I just want something that will hold block ice up to at least 7 days exercising good cooler management.

Retail on a Yeti 75 is $450, a Canyon 75 is $350.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

The 65 Qt Yetis are $400 at REI. With the 20% off (through tomorrow?), that would be almost affordable. I have a 125, and it's way too big for most of my uses.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the "heads up" Mr. Sagebrush. Grabbing my keys & wallet and heading to REI right now to check'em out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users