Attached Thumbnails

• 336024_489094877773593_1984424709_o.jpg
  • ATX-Beadlock-Chamber-Pro-Bolts-not-all-installedBx.jpg

#2 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Unless you're running really low tire pressures and doing stuff to flex the side walls to the extremes, it would be hard for me to justify the expense and additional complexity.

#3 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

Cost and weight are the major downfalls.
I don't honestly see why someone would run them on such a heavy truck. I'd be shocked to see that truck run tire pressure in the single digits or near low enough to justify them.
I would have liked to run bead locks on my last Jeep, but I never went lower than 10psi and never had any problems. I know some guys who regularly run 5-6psi in deep snow without beadlocks, but I don't have the desire to re-seat beads with lighter fluid on the trail.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:08 AM

Considering I've only lost two beads in my life I can't justify the cost. They look nice though.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:15 AM

I had them on my rock crawler but, I do'nt think they legal for highway use. Might want to check for sure.  Mitch

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

I'm unable to justify cost, additional weight and I simply do not drive my truck/camper on jeep trtails requiring beadlocks.   I toyed with the idea of procuring some Trail Ready wheels for my SD but ultimately decided on standard Pro Comp wheels.

But that SD at the FWC HQ sure looks GOOD!

Edited by Advmoto18, 24 November 2015 - 12:46 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

I know of an off-road only Samurai that is run on Super Swampers wrapped around beadlocks without valve stem cores.

I can't imagine needing them on a camper either. Most that I know with them have leaking issues. Long term the tires just won't hold pressure. Some it's a matter months, others its a matter of days.

I see the legality issue mentioned frequently. I've no idea one way or the other. I suspect that it's a matter of DOT certification, that meeting those stds. may be tough to do or expensive to do. The DOT doesn't test or certify anything themselves. They require any mfg. who wants to claim DOT compliance to submit their product(s) to independent testing to show that they comply, and then maintain the Quality records that show that all subsequent products have been made to the same high standards. For a racing/off-road wheel mfg that's just a bunch of unnecessary BS paperwork for no real gain.

That said, the average LEO isn't going to know the difference, or care.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:32 AM

Some are DOT compliant, most are not.

<http://www.streetleg...treet_legal.htm>

They're all pretty expensive though!

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#9 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

DOT compliance aside, they're simply overkill for the vast majority of trucks carrying campers. There's rarely any need for us to air down lower than 12-14 PSI even in really soft sand, and you're in scant danger of losing the bead at those pressures.

If I were headed to a region where I might need to be drastically aired down for long periods, I'd install Staun internal beadlocks.

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:20 AM

A friend had a set of Stauns installed. Worked as advertised, but what a pain to deal with. His next truck pointedly lacked those.

Edited by ntsqd, 30 November 2015 - 01:20 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users