• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Montana

Montana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Has any one had issues with fingerprints and water stains that seem to be impossible to remove? It is almost like the stains are under the finish on the wood veneer. Our camper is only 2 years old and the collection of stains is getting to be a lot. I wipe the inside down frequently with windex, but that doesn't help.

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:22 PM

Don't know about your FWC but the veneer on my Raven is a wood grain paper.  I found that out when I removed the panel under my refer to put a remote relay for my flood lights.  I'm guessing you have the same surface that would explain why the stains are permanent.

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

Laminate material, once compromised, is difficult to remove stains from. If the stain is on the surface, i.e. not absorbed into the core material, it can be removed. If it has wicked below it will not be removable. If you have fingerprints it sounds like a surface issue. I would suggest not using ammonia on the surface (windex). There is a very simple product called "Magic Eraser", I believe made by Mr. Clean. It is a sponge like material. There are 5 versions and you'd want the original as it has no additives. Use a mild detergent (Murphy's Oil soap).... even Dawn dish detergent in warm water, not a lot ... say a teaspoon per quart. saturate the Eraser and squeeze almost all water out. press down fairly hard and work a small area. You'll be surprised at how clean it will get. This Eraser is also great to use to remove oil from Computer track pads and keyboards (power off and nearly dry eraser with follow up paper towel). When you think the eraser is used up, slice it in half the long way... you now have 2 more clean surfaces to use! 

Edited by buckland, 25 November 2015 - 07:59 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

I had an issue after removing some velcro from the laminate meterial.

It pulled the paper away.I used some wood stain on a cloth and rubbed it over the area.

Just a very little does the job. Looks like the original grain.

You can get a "sample" can of stain color from a hardware store,about $2.

I used the Mimwax brand ,I used English Chestnut color.

It's light enough that it blends in with the original finish.

This might work.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Montana

Montana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the Magic Eraser first and see if I have any luck. BTW, these are dirty fingerprints from camping, not sure if restaining on light birch would work.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the Magic Eraser first and see if I have any luck. BTW, these are dirty fingerprints from camping, not sure if restaining on light birch would work.

The stain I used would be to dark for the light birch.

But keep it in mind as there are lighter stains.

The Mr. Clean thing should work.

We have used it around the house and it's OK.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

Our camper has the "birch" paper coated interior in a late 2012 FWC and it was a poor veneer choice.  My understanding is FWC tried the paper coated "birch" for around two years before switching to a more durable "painted" wood.  The "birch" paper is not sealed well and ours has suffered from staining on the cabinets and delaminating on the ceiling.  Could be worse, my Grandfather lost the entire floor on a class A diesel motor home from a water leak.

#8 exmx_racer

exmx_racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

As Bill said above the campers made around 2012 have the wood grain paper - be VERY careful cleaning as I have unfortunately removed the paper "grain" with very little rubbing. I tried to remove finger prints and other stains but after ruining the finish so easily I have decided to let it go and remind myself it is just a camper.

#9 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

Those Magic Erasers are great! I've used them to clean all sorts of stuff that won't come off any other way. If you have a stained coffee cup, it won't get clean in the dishwasher, but a quick wipe with a Magic Eraser will have it white again.

My 2014 Fleet has the paper "birch" plywood inside. It's a picture of woodgrain on paper. It's pretty durable, but be very careful cutting or drilling because the paper is white and the "birch" coating is thin. If you scratch through the coating, the white paper will show. Don't sand it!

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users