#1 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

I am looking for recommendations on which folding solar set-up to buy. The three I'm looking at are the 120w Go Power, 120w Zamp, or 100w Renogy. I would also consider others in this size that I missed.

The folding solar will augment existing roof top solar on my camper, as well as a travel trailer, when parked in the shade or when the sun is low in the winter. I am limited to these sizes, as it is the most power I can get and still store it where it will be carried. I have considered making my own set-up (and still may), but I really like the complete units with a storage case for protection while traveling.

I want the option of disconnecting (bypassing) the controller that is attached to each unit, and running my own wire to a plug that will connect to the trailer or camper solar controller (PWM). From what I can see from photographs, it would be easy to bypass the Go Power and Renogy controllers, and reconnect if I wanted to use them in the future (for a boat or something else). Not sure if I could do this on the Zamp.

The Renogy has less watts, but is half the price and has better ratings on Amazon than Go Power.

Has anyone compared the three brands, and if so, what did you find? Other thoughts?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:54 PM

Trailbob, I believe you can buy the Zamp portable without a controller, but per a conversation with them, there is no easy/clean way to bypass the controller on the portable I have their 80 watt portable for augmenting my solar on the travel trailer, and had hoped to use it on the FWC Grandby as well. If I do use it on the Grandby, I'm going to disconnect the wiring from the rear solar connector to the onboard controller, then do a direct connect to the battery. I will use a circuit breaker on the positive lead, so wiring to the plug isn't hot when not in use.

On the trailer, I just go directly to the battery since they are in an external box. I have a Zamp 150 watt on top.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

Sorry, no experience myself, but you might want to look also at Overland Solar. Jonathan Hanson has featured them in his overland newsletter. You can buy them to connect directly to your battery bank or get the optional inverter.

This link is for the 150w, but they also have a 90w version:

http://overlandsolar...150w-solar-unit

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

I have the 120w Solar in a bag. Cost was just about $200 works fine but it is big. This is an old WTW  thread on Solar in the bags.

I have mine wired to by pass the solar in a bag controller and run to the controller in the camper.

One other possibility is what Harv did a flex panel on light weight sign board. It is very light and easy to set up.

#5 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:00 AM

This is what I did with a flexible panel. This is the "no longer available" Renogy 100 watt panel. (you can find others on eBay.)

Total weight, 6 lbs, using foam core insulation from Lowes. Harv
Renogy panel
back of Renogy panel

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#6 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

Thanks all for the info.  I had never heard of Overland Solar, and the "solar in a bag" thread was helpful.  The flex panel on foam also looks like a good idea.  I sent Overland Solar an email with a list of specific questions.  They sent a detailed reply and offered to customize the wiring with an Anderson connector to allow me to either use or bypass the portable's controller, and upgrade the wiring size from the panel to the battery (for a small fee)-- good customer service.

Wandering Sagebrush, I have a couple questions:  When you connect the 80w Zamp directly to your TT (which has its own solar on the roof), have you noticed any conflict between the portable's controller and the TT's controller, if both panels are in the sun?

Are you satisfied with how the 80w works with your TT, and would you buy that size again?

Thanks again- Bob

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

Bob,

I have not noticed a conflict between the two panels. My simplistic view is they are just two charging sources, like the AS converter running when solar is active. My biggest complaint about the panel is one the older style, like mine, the controller is awkward to access, since it is flat against the back of the panel. The newer units have a hinged controller so you can see/access it easily.

I think the 80 watt is fine. A larger size would be great for charging, but physical size would be a negative.

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#8 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

Check out BHA Solar. I bought a nice folding 120 Watt setup without a controller that I can plug into my Trimetric SC2030 controller. Paired up with the Trimetric 2030 monitor it gives you solid input on battery condition and allows you to control the solat input better too. Happy Holidays, Bigfoot Dave

#9 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:30 AM

Steve- Thanks for the update on how your 80w system works for you.  Great point about size vs charging. 

Bigfoot Dave- Thanks for the info BHA solar.  Looks like another good option to consider.

#10 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

I have owned both the Renogy 100 watt folding panel and the Zamp 200 watt folding panel.

Both setups included the solar controller and were very easy to use.

I believe the Zamp panels were of a higher quality, but much more expensive.

I paid $900-1000 for the Zamp set up and $250 for the Renogy setup.

Both systems worked perfectly and I still have the Renogy setup.

I sold the Zamp setup with a trailer I owned.

If I had to buy again, I would not buy the 200 watt Zamp panel.

It was too expensive and too large to handle easily as a portable panel.

I ended up just affixing it to the roof of my trailer.

I would consider a smaller Zamp folding system if the cost was similar to Renogy.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users