• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

Better then a hatchet or machete

http://www.woodmanspal.com/

Posted Image

I have this one.

Posted Image

If you MUST have a hatchet, this Roselli is an excellent choice.
I have one of these as well.

Posted Image

#12 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:01 AM

The attached picture shows an ax about the right size for most city folk. A full size ax is a bit heavy in the hands of a beginner, or a smaller person. A hatchet is too small to fell trees or split logs. Because we are discussing a tool to be carried in a truck, there is no reason to have less than something optimum.

I carried a woodsman's friend on my sailboat on a circumnavigation. It was almost useless, more of weapon than anything else. I think a light tool like that is best in a tropical setting as a substitute for a machete, useful for clearing brush around a campsite. For camping in our temperate climate, minimal tools include an ax, a paring knife, and a pair of Vice-Grips. A camper who knows how to keep an ax and knife sharp probably knows how to use them, and vice versa. Regardless of the tool, the skill of the user is more important than the tool itself.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2474.jpg

#13 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

John,
I more impressed with you circumnavigation than your ax knowledge. On my Morgan Out Island '41 we just had a chain saw.

AX AX I said Adz

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#14 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

Mr. Pueblo, maybe you and me should look into some kind of online proof reading service, I know I have to do a better job, and maybe.............

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:53 AM

Nothing like having some training in how to use your tools.
I remember well, my first day at cdf. They had a log down. "heres an ax, chop it in half". I know they got a good laugh out it, but they also showed me how to do it right. I still would rather sharpen my lawn mower blade with a hand file than use a grinder.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:21 AM

I still would rather sharpen my lawn mower blade with a hand file than use a grinder.

Ugh... I remember my dad making me do that a couple of times a season for each of our 3 lawn mowers (big yard, lots of trees, PITA to mow too!) I LOVE my Xeriscape yard now...
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#17 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

I can think of very few instances where a full size axe could be of any use to a camper.
It's illegal to chop down trees in State Parks, National Parks, BLM land etc. w/o a permit; and a felling axe isn't good for much else.
The typical uses of a camp axe are easily handled by a Woodman's pal; if you know how to use it. :P
I camp all over the country and get by fine with my pal and a small folding hand saw.

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

National forest lands, and I think BLM lands too, if its dead and down you can cut it for firewood. Of course I use my chainsaw for that instead of an axe. Permits are only necessary if you want to take the wood home.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

Ah Craig a man after my own heart. Tim Taylor would be proud of us.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#20 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:36 AM

Canadian Provincial Parks frequently provide firewood in the form of short logs. The logs need to be split to burn.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1328.jpg
  • IMG_1332.jpg
  • IMG_1357.jpg
  • IMG_1378.jpg
  • IMG_1415.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users