65 replies to this topic

#31 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

I stumbled on to this 10 year old thread, and thought it would be interesting to see if anything has changed over the years.  I carry an Estwing hatchet or an Estwing cruiser axe, and a Northwoods pack saw.

I am haunted by waters

#32 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

I carry a true value hatchet, and two folding saws. Somtimes I wish I could mount one of these to a front hitch:

https://www.agriexpo...0599-48633.html

#33 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

I carry a true value hatchet, and two folding saws. Somtimes I wish I could mount one of these to a front hitch:

https://www.agriexpo...0599-48633.html

What?  You would miss the opportunity for desert pinstripe with one of those...

I am haunted by waters

#34 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

😂

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#35 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

I carry both the mentioned Estwing implements but a Silky folding saw.  I prefer a saw as it takes longer to remove one's appendages while boondocking with a saw.

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 10 October 2019 - 09:10 PM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#36 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

Wow, ten years in and nobody has mentioned to the OP, who may have passed by now and if so rest in peace, that the best hatchet ever is a Granfors Bruk. Kind of pricey but they make all others look like junk including the Fiskers style 'tools' which are mere fashion accessories. If you're lucky your local Husqvarna dealer will have some left over Husqvarna hatchets or small woods axes in stock.

They were made for them by Wetterlings and are also awesome. They were about $35.00/ea too which was the all time steal for a quality axe or hatchet.

#37 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:50 PM

I have a Gransfor Bruk axe and hatchet. My favorite camp axe is my Hults Bruk Aneby. I can't really say that one brand is better than the other. Gransfors Bruk do cost more but that doesn't necessarily mean they are superior. It may have to do with their smaller production #s, I do like that Gransfors Bruk axes are stamped with the makers initials on them.

http://hultsbruk1697...ucts/the-aneby/

I use a Silky Bigboy saw around the home, pack their 8"Gomboy for trail work and camping, and their short 5" saw resides in my bugout kit.

Edited by Ronin, 11 October 2019 - 11:12 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#38 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

After looking at Hults Bruk(Aneby) and Gransfor Bruk(forest Axe), I settled on Council Tool's Pack axe(24"). Great quality, U.S. made, perfect for processing campfire wood and enough heft for splitting . Couldn't be happier.

#39 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, Yeah, all nice axes and hatchets but how many of you carry a pickaroon? 

I carry a hatch length pickaroon along with my other tools and have a full length one at home.

Move those logs with ease...

(Also good for the zombie apocalypse) 

#40 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

I'm trying my best to minimize my camping equipment. Please don't tell me about another thing I need. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users