• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:15 PM

Caught my eye in the sale ad and thinking it might be a nice way to up the bar for dinners.  Anyone using?  How hard is it to clean?

My concern is there are just 3 of us camping, and one of us is a light eater, so I'd rarely fill it to capacity.  I wish there was a tiny version.

wm18ci.png

http://www.cabelas.c...0070 and 551171

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

If the huge capacity is the issue, Lodge makes 1.5 and 2 quart Dutch ovens. Probably a bit heavier, but they would take up less space.

I am haunted by waters

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:55 PM

GSI and others also make aluminum Dutch ovens.

The 3 qt one is 3 1/2 lbs and without legs so that it nests inside their larger one with legs.  I've been looking at it over the cast iron ovens because it is hard anodized and,  unlike the cast iron ovens,  can be scrubbed and left ungreased, is lighter weight, can be used on the gas cook top and is a more suitable size for two people.

Price is higher than the cast iron Lodge ones but the above link, I just found, is more reasonable than local retail stores. 

Paul. 

I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

Paul, we use the enameled DOs. Easy to use and clean. It takes a bit of care when traveling, but nothing extravagant.

I am haunted by waters

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

I'll take a look at enameled ones at somewhere other than Sur la Table and Kitchen Kaboodle. There always seemed to be a high price addition for such a thin layer of melted sand. :)

Paul

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:44 AM

Le Cru$et?

I am haunted by waters

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:02 AM

Yup.

#8 SeldomSeen

SeldomSeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

I have the smaller can cooker.  I love it.  The only time it comes out of the Grandby is if I want to use it in the house.  I cook for 2 with it often--you don't have to stuff it to the gills.  The great thing about it is the simplicity.  Put in the bottom grate, quick spray with pam, add meat, veggies, spices, and about 12 oz water (I'm not a big fan of the flavor beer introduces, but you can use it if you want).  Throw on fire or stove, wait for steam, start your 40 min timer and have a beverage.  When we cook for a crowd on mountain biking trips, it makes cleanup a breeze--one pot cooking for up to about 10 people is great.  Basically works as a hybrid of pressure cooker and dutch oven.  Everything comes out really tender.  If you like your veggies more al dente, Add them in the last 5-10 mins.  I highly suggest Pork loin roasts, sausage and shrimp boils (a little splash of the zatarain's shrimp boil will season from "spicy" to "melt-your-face-off).  It really is foolproof.  I still use a dutch oven, but I REALLY like the can cooker too.  

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 cummins. 33" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.  2013 Grandby Silver Spur Shell. 

#9 Florida

Florida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

I take along the small version of the can cooker along with my Dutch oven. Aside from the one-pot meals that it was made for, it is a very nice soup/chili pot. I use it over a fire or on a propane stove. Cleaning isn't difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:16 PM

Until reading this thread I hadn't given these much thought. But I've been thinking about a larger pot for soup ect. As posted above this could do double duty.

Has anyone used one of these on top of a gas campfire with a grate? I have a Camco Little Red Campfire that hasn't seen much use yet. Seems like this might make a nice combo with that.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users