49 replies to this topic

#21 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

bobg,

You're certainly welcome to the table design, no credit required. If I had it to do again I'd use a little better quality hardware. The drop leaf support hardware I used came from Woodworkers Supply for about $15.00 a pair and is adequate but has a bit of play at the hinge points. Also I used hinges I had on hand and they too have a little more play in them then I'd like. Keep us posted on your progress.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#22 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

We finally decided a 7" deep cabinet was as deep as we could use without taking up too much elbow room. I'll be replacing the door down the road as the 1/2" birch I had left is too bent for a permanent door and the handle centered in the door is at perfect elbow height, ouch.

Also finished the edges of the drop leaf table, what a pain after the table is assembled. Anyone who decides to make one I highly recommend sanding and staining or painting the cut edges before hand.

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0633 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0634 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0636 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0637 (Medium).jpg

DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#23 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

Very, nice. Looks great.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#24 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

DLN i don"t get it how do you keep your camper looking so new!Every time you show a picture it looks like you just received a new camper,Any way great mod you will be ready for the cold winter days,it will get cold again or is global warming here to stay?
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

#25 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

Les,

The camper isn't that clean all the time, it gets a good cleaning every time I get in there and mess it up while working on it. We have tried to take good care of it along the way but if you were to look a little closer you'd see some damage and misc. funk from use. As to the cold of winter, after 30 years in snow country I wouldn't really mind a shorter winter season, say about 3 months for skiing and back to spring would be great. Warm days and no snow removal, dream on. Enjoy.

#26 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

Here are some misc. pictures of interior changes/additions we've made along the way, they are generally minor and really don't justify a new thread.

We added 2" sticky velcro to the top of the rear lift panel for more hook and misc. hanging space. The paper towel holder worked out great on our last trip and we'll be making it a permanent addition to the camper.

A while back I notched out the outside edge of the lift panel to give the window vinyl more space to relax in the down position. As it was the panel was putting a serious wrinkle in the window and making it difficult to smooth out while closing it up.

We recently got to try out the drop leaf table and were very happy with the versatility it gave us while moving around the interior of the camper, now I'd hate to do without it.

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0640 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0641 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0642 (Medium).jpg

#27 bobg333

bobg333

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

A while back I notched out the outside edge of the lift panel to give the window vinyl more space to relax in the down position. As it was the panel was putting a serious wrinkle in the window and making it difficult to smooth out while closing it up.

I don't understand the part about "notching out." Could you explain? Maybe a pix?

Former Grandby owner

#28 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

bobg,

Here's a picture showing the original shape of the top line of the lower rear lift panel. The problem with the Eagle and likely other shorter campers is that the window in too close to the rear and the edge of the lift panel extends into the window in the down position. It appears the the window section of the vinyl may be used on all campers regardless of the size but I can't say that for sure. I don't think the 8' campers would have the same issue.

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0641 (Medium).jpg

#29 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:06 AM

Here a shots of a few additions or details of the Dinette Remodel.

1. I replaced the 1/2" birch plywood face of the rear seat with FWC photo vinyl I had shipped to me with the new table. While I like the birch on the doors I didn't like the contrast between it and the vinyl, it should be one or the other.

2. A shot of the table mount straps.

3. I added a safety strap to the table leg brackets under the lower cabinet.

4. Front two piece vertical opening turnbuckle access door. One piece wouldn't come out without removing the seat which unfortunately I didn't discover until the whole thing was put together. The battery has to be moved forward for to work on the turnbuckles.

5. Front vertical access door. That one worked right the first time though I did have to go back and sand the edges a bit to loosen both of them up.

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0666 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0663 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0665 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0668 (Medium).jpg
  • HPIM0667 (Medium).jpg

#30 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

DLN,

Background: On our last trip, my wife and I sat at the dinette in my folk's 31' C class. Later, in our slightly smaller Panther, she proclaimed I would be installing a dinette in place of the settee, then went on to inquire if I'd finish anytime soon...

On to my questions:
  • How is the dinette working for you now?
  • What would you do different?
  • Any recommendations for future builders?

C class seating w/ "camper's hair":
Posted Image

Thanks,
SB

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users