72 replies to this topic

#1 turn_one

turn_one

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

Picked up my FWC Hawk shell (from American RV Company, great service from Jeff and Clint) in Portland OR.  Averaged about 19 mpg's on the way down and 15 mpg's returning with the camper.  The truck is a 4WD 2500 Ram diesel. 

I can't imagine the decrease in economy has as much to do with the added weight as it does with aerodynamics so it has me thinking of a wind fairing of some sort mounted to the trucks roof.  I don't have much clearance between the roof of the truck to the bottom of the camper so I'm unsure if a Thule or Yakima basket with a fairing on the front would fit.  Nor do I think a wing that small would achieve what I'm looking for.  Also, the satellite antenna is mounted in a place that may interfere.

Anyone have experience with one of these?  If so, what type and how did it affect your mileage?  Is the top the big wind resistance or do you think the sides?  

Here's the 2nd night on the way home (1st wasn't so picturesque as it was in a busy Wal Mart parking lot):

IMG_2545_zpsvd04b2gl.jpg

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

gallery_5386_934_607199.jpg

I have a wind deflector on my Tundra.  Honestly it does nothing for the mpg, what it does do is keep the wind noise down.  I have a pretty good gap between the cab and the overhang and had very annoying howling going on at most common driving speeds with the deflector that has gone away.  I found the fairing on the local craigslist and had to adapt the attachment to get it on the truck.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

Do a search for wind deflector and you will see a thread with many fairing ideas. I have Yakima old style 54" long fairing on a single cross bar but I think longest they now sell is 50" long.

Dsrtrat

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:20 PM

gallery_5386_934_607199.jpg

I have a wind deflector on my Tundra.  Honestly it does nothing for the mpg, what it does do is keep the wind noise down.  I have a pretty good gap between the cab and the overhang and had very annoying howling going on at most common driving speeds with the deflector that has gone away.  I found the fairing on the local craigslist and had to adapt the attachment to get it on the truck.

Great Polebridge Merch,shot.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

Do a search for wind deflector and you will see a thread with many fairing ideas. I have Yakima old style 54" long fairing on a single cross bar but I think longest they now sell is 50" long.

Dsrtrat

I think you might find some info at Bill Harr's site.

He has a deflector and had done some research.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

Great Polebridge Merch,shot.

Frank

Thanks.  When in the area gotta get some bread and bearclaws.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#7 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:13 AM

No mileage difference that we have noticed. But I built a fairing from 6061 aluminum stock (bent at ~35 degree angle) and 1/8" thick aluminum sheet metal - bought at Pacific Steel for less than $25 for the whole thing. Lot's cheaper than commercial, but more work to build. 

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#8 turn_one

turn_one

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Interesting that there's no mpg difference observed.  I don't have an issue with wind noise and have less of a gap than Cayuse on the Tundra.  Maybe I'll suck it up and hope diesel prices don't get to years past highs.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

I've found that by reducing our speed to our 12 Valve's ideal of no more than 1750 RPM that our mileage has made a large step up. Had to have the trans rebuilt and that in combo has seen a change from a pretty steady 13 up to around 16 average with two known single tank spikes to 18.8 and to 19.7 I don't check every tank, so no idea how often or infrequent such spikes are. The 19.7 was from home to Delano going over the Grapevine on I-5. My strategy for the grade was to take over the throttle setting from the CC and hold the same throttle setting, not the same road or engine speed. As soon as the engine started to lug I turned off OD. Then as soon as we were at the summit to turn on the OD and bring the CC back in.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 BWSracing

BWSracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:03 AM

This weekend I found that with our Grandby in what I think is the identical truck we got 16ish below 70 14ish above 70mph. I think it's mostly the weight and very little to do with the aero.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users