#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

Hi All,

Found this website about a month ago and have been following it closely. We will be responding to a number of previous threads and hope to meet many of you on the road.

The background:
My wife and I have a 2003 Hawk on a 2000 Tundra 4x4. We are located in Rocklin, CA and manage to get out about one weekend a month and try to do a long trip once a year.

Couple of questions to start:
Has anyone installed an air dam for the camper? The early Tundras had a shallow bed causing the camper to ride higher than normal. This leaves a large gap between the cab roof and bottom of the cabover section of the camper. At highway speeds, this causes some buffeting. I'm thinking an air dam would smooth out the ride and improve the gas mileage. Photos, comments, ideas are all welcome.

What type of auxillery battery mods have people made? I am considering upgrading to a Lifeline battery as suggested by Stan at 4WC. I noticed Mark (OutbacKamper) mentioned he has two Optimas in series. Does this work better?

This is a great resource. Thank you DirtyDog for this.

Ted

#2 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:36 AM

Ted,

The air dam idea should help out. I had a couple of older customers that put one on their trucks and they liked them. I never did hear how much they helped but it would just make sense for them to help cut down the air drag that you are currently pushing.

For your battery the optima is a great choice because of the lifetime of the battery. Jeff put two in his boat and they still started it after it sat for over a year. I was impressed by that one. We currently us an Interstate battery in our campers because the amp hours on the Interstate are 75 hours compared to 55 on the optima. If you would like more information on how we normally set up an aux battery system, feel free to give us a call at 800-446-1003.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

#3 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:23 AM

Just a random picture of an airfoil on a slide in camper, for whatever it's worth. I don't know anything about it. I saw the pic online and saved it awhile ago -

Posted Image

#4 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

Welcome to the forum Ted!

You could try a Yakima or Thule fairing...

Attached Thumbnails

• yakima_fairing.jpg

#5 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:27 PM

Ted, welcome to he fourm! I have the yakima deflector mounted to my Ford 4X4 Sportsmobile. I know it's not a FWC but right now it works for me. I sometimes use a Yakima Rocket box. I think the deflector works well to channel the wind current and keeps the box clean and free of dust. Should work on your FWC.

#6 WarpathEngineering

WarpathEngineering

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Ted,

I have the same problem. I'm running a '98 GMC with a used Grandby. I've got almost 12 inches between the bottom of the overhang and the cab. I'm thinking of going down to my local fab shop and having a v shaped faring (starting at the center and fading outward toward the sides) made from aluminum and bolting it to the bottom of the overhang. That way it becomes a permanent portion of the camper and I don't have to think about putting it on or mounting anything to the roof of the cab. Just a thought!

#7 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

That is a rather large gap for a Grandby on any truck. Have you looked at the bottom of the camper to see if there is a false floor on it. Sounds like the camper was made for a super duty Ford Truck. I am curious about what year the camper is.

Sincerely,

Ben

#8 WarpathEngineering

WarpathEngineering

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

Ben,

I'm not sure what year it is. I'm a Kentuckian and we have to take what we get down here. My wife and I were out in Yellowstone in June (our first trip west of the Mississippi!) and saw our first FWC at the Old Faithfull gift shop and I fell in love with it. Loved the compact size and low profile. After doing the research and looking at what the "Mainstream" camper manufacturers were putting out, I started looking for a FWC. Bought mine on Ebay in Virginia and drove the 19 hour round trip to get it. The only dimension I was concerned about was the rear wall width (this one is 59 3/4 inches, my GMC is 60 inches). I guess like a dumbie I thought they were all the same height untill we loaded it up. Was a windy day that day and it was like towing an anchor..... still attached to a boat. Anyway, I've got one and been thinking about building a faring to bridge the gap or even lowering the the overhang about 6 inches and adding a thicker mattress....my wife would like that! Would there be an easy way to shorten it up? I've got the insides half apart to rebuild it because the last guy trashed it. Now's the time!

With you being a former owner of FWC, how could I find out the year? I have a CMJ tag on the rear with a serial number (seal # 100123 serial # 20108-6). The camper has a dark grey strip on the side. The side window has the black aluminum casing with rounded corners. It's a 1/2 slider. There is no false floor.

#9 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

Well just found the camper that you have in my old data base. It was built for a Super Duty Ford truck. Originally sold in 11-99 to a couple in Southern California. Unfortunately instead of the false floor on the camper we actually raised the walls of the camper to fit the Super Duty Truck back then. No easy way to take the height out of the camper except to cut down the walls themselves.

Marty was actually the original salesman on that camper also.

The serial number is actually 20108-G

Sorry we can't be of more help on the height problem on that one.

Sincerely,

Ben

#10 WarpathEngineering

WarpathEngineering

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:41 AM

Ben,

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity what is the correct height for a Grandby for a GMC or what is a safe clearance from cab to overhang? What is the standard height of the rear door?

Thanks again!
Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users