2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#22 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

Would love to see some pics of the interior :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#23 hiddenlk

hiddenlk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:49 AM

Marc I have to ask what are you going to do with the Cummins and grandby, in the market for just that although a 1998-2001 ctd would be nice I think I am worthy of a newer year rig. The van is bad to the bone and I am surely jealous but I am jealousmof the truck/camper combo as well. My number is 775-843-2886 if you want to chat about a potential sale. If not I totally understand as well.

Cheers

Bryce

PS did I mention that your van is badass?

#24 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

Hi Bryce.

Unfortunately the truck and camper have been sold.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#25 gitout

gitout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Love the 4x4 Sprinter!  I've been soo tempted to buy one.  The biggest road blocks have been the diesel motor needing ULSD, voided warranty if using over B10 and emissions junk.  I've tried to track down a company to remove but no luck so far.

My understanding is the motor / emission system will fail quickly if using improper fuel.  Have you figured out a way around this?  

The maintenance and repair cost are the other challenge.  

I'd sell my truck and buy a Sprinter if it could run reliably on LSD with post compression diesel spray disabled (they were too cheap to put injector in the exhaust) and DPF removal.  Most of this is computer reprogramming.  

Please message me if you figure out solutions.  I'd love to own a Sprinter.  Such a fantastic platform.

#26 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:58 AM

Nice set up.

Researched going this route, after selling my 97 gmc 2wd van.

What turned me away was that not all mercedes dealers work on the sprinters. I didn't want to get stuck in one of the rocky mtn states hundreds of miles from somebody qualified to work on my rig.

Still having second thoughts after getting my 2015 silverado and northstar combo. After having a van for 18 years, still like the better visibility, and all one unit ,part of a van. 

#27 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

Would love to see some pics of the interior :)

There are some interior pics in my gallery.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#28 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Looks good, Marc.

Any shots of the rear area?  I'm curious how the three piece bed works.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#29 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:22 PM

Nice set up.

Researched going this route, after selling my 97 gmc 2wd van.

What turned me away was that not all mercedes dealers work on the sprinters. I didn't want to get stuck in one of the rocky mtn states hundreds of miles from somebody qualified to work on my rig.

Still having second thoughts after getting my 2015 silverado and northstar combo. After having a van for 18 years, still like the better visibility, and all one unit ,part of a van. 

I've never let the FEAR of the "What If" detour myself from doing what I want to do, just can't live my life that way. I now have had (4) different diesel rigs, two with just Cats and two with all the Smog BS. I will say the later two have been more efficient , quieter and cleaner running than the Pre-Carb ones and much healthier for our environment. Don't let a few horror stories from the internet sway your decision as these are a very small segment of overall production, way less than 1%. 

With the remote camping I do, it doesn't matter what you drive if you break down, wheather its a diesel or gasser your F!#5&"d unless you are a mechanic with tools and the needed parts to do the repair, so expect to hike out if things go bad whatever your chariot might be. If I break down on the highway, Mercedes will tow me to the nearest dealer for free regardless of miles whilst under warranty. That combined with AAA's premier card and I feel quite confident. Thus far I have traveled through Oregon, California, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Nevada with many back country miles along the way with-out a glitch. Proper maintenance, knowing the limitations of your rig as well as your off road driving abilities goes a long way in keeping you out of trouble in the back country. Common sense is always Key. :)

#30 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

Well .... Its been just over a year and 18000 miles later and the Sprinter is living up to all of my expectations. Interior build-out is just about complete, and although it cost me more than originally planned, it came out pretty good. Ill post some more pics soon. 

On another note, rumor has it that another member has walked over to the Van side. Hopefully we will be updated with some pics from the new owner.

marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users