• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:21 AM

Has anyone mounted a Jerry Can holder to their camper?

I need to address a way to carry more fuel and I would like to avoid the expense and constant weight of installing an auxillary tank to my truck. I really only need extra fuel when the camper is on the truck as it costs me a couple MPG's. Adding it to a rack up top seems to defeat the purpose plus if it were to leak, I would rather it just run down the back of the camper than all over the roof and down the sides

I see the Wescott's have a fuel can holder on their camper. I've seen others with a custom rear bumper that includes a Jerry can holder. I'm not sure if I want to deal with the weight and cost of a custom fabbed rear bumper either.

Ben or Marty, thoughts and comments on the ease and/or wisdom of doing something like this? Is there a smarter solution to carrrying extra fuel?

Attached Thumbnails

• dakota1.jpg

#2 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

If I remember right, that set up in the picture is bolted right through the wall of the camper. I have no idea where Gary picked up the set up though. He would always bring all his stuff to us and tell us how and where to mount it on the camper.

My first thought would be a Jeep supply type of store. They should have a few differnt set ups for carrying extra cans around. I always see jeeps running around with 2 or three of those cans mounted on the back.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

#3 homemade

homemade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

The gas can holder shown is easily available, JC Whitney sells it for ?~$23, Amazon.com has it for $16.95. One site had listed for less, made by Blitz. I think carrying gas like this is inherently unsafe.

I'm obviously bored, taking end of year vacation days.

#4 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

I'm not looking for a holder, I'm wondering more about this from a strength and structural standpoint. Can the camper wall handle it OK?

Figuring a 5 gallon fuel can and carrier (and Scepter Cans are the best) weighs close to 50lbs, and while we're adding weight, how about another 25lbs for a Hi-Lift Jack. I'd like to mount these to the exterior back wall of the camper.

Is the back wall strong enough to endure an additional 75lbs while bouncing around on backcountry trails? Bolted through the wall, not to a part of the frame?

Most of my trips are to the middle of nowhere on rough trails with limited services. Mounting it to the back seems like a good solution, if the integrity of the rear wall won't be compromised.....?

Attached Thumbnails

• lovin it.jpg

#5 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

KC;
Sorry, I don't have a better picture. I built a cheap/light weight/low tech bumper platform. Mine was used to carry a propane cylinder, ladder and to support the bottom of a 60" Hi-lift. You could easily support the same type of jerry can holder as shown in your top photo. Mine is made from plywood that was then covered on all sides in truck bed liner. The platform was securely bolted to the top of the bumper. One advantage of this system is that you end up with a very useful step that is wider than the bumper, at the camper door. I supported the Hi-lift by bolting a large aluminum angle to the back corner of the camper (the angle was approx 3"x5"x1/4" and about 12" long) then attach 2 bolts to the angle that project to the rear and align with 2 holes in the Hi-lift (the bolts were drilled for small padlocks) the jack is held on with metal plates covered in self adhesive foam and wing nuts. Most of the parts for this were canibalized from a bracket called "4x4 rac" or something like that.

Cheers
Mark

#6 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

I think that if you get a full length holder and mounted it high on the wall you would be OK. At the top of the wall the frame is a 3 or 4 inch piece of metal. With a full length holder you would be spreading the weight over a larger area. I like Ben's idea of a Jeep or FJ40 pre made rack set up. Buying a pre made rack that may only need a couple of tabs welded on would hold all the stuff you need. I once saw a hitch receiver mounted swing out rack, I can't remember where. Time to search the net. Try Quadratec.com. Keep us informed on what you do. I'm starting to think about mods myself.

#7 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

You can mount a high lift and cans to the back of the camper. We have done it while I was at FWC and I have seen other customers do the same thing. You do want to bolt the hold downs through the frame of the camper though. You can't do it just through the wall. When I say through the frame, I mean all the way through with the bolt's coming out on the inside of the wall in the camper. One example of this would be anyone who has the rear wall steps on their camper. These are bolted completely through the frame of the camper and have a rounded nut covering the end of the bolt inside the camper.

There is a metal plate that is 4" wide near the top of the frame on each side of the camper on the back. This plate is what the rear flood lights were mounted to if a customer purchased them. If you need the exact location of the plate, let me know. Jeff will remember where that is welded in. Just let us know the year of your camper and which model that you have.

Sincerely,

Ben

#8 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:22 PM

I started a thread on this fourm titled "Plastic Jerry Cans" on 11-01-06. There are several ideas about mounting brackets and carrying Jerry cans of various types. This might help...captainkettel...

#9 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:22 AM

marty here. it is true that jeff and myself were the prime builders of the weekend warrior eagle camper. and jeff in fact did weld lots of extra channel stock into the frame to support the gas cans. it is my opinion that the standard frame will in fact come apart if you use it to support that much weight. sorry for not having better news for you. the high lift jack is also held in place with bolts going threw extra channel. the same for the sand ladders he has for it. happy new year

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:51 AM

I apologize for the earlier post. I forgot about the extra channel that was added to Garys camper for the extras that he put on the campers. After thinking about it, most of the customers that I have seen with the cans in back had them on a platform of some type that they had in the receiver hitch.

Sincerely,

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users