12 replies to this topic

#1 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

I am planning to a trip to Utah this spring.  Coming from Minnesota, driving Interstate 70 to the Utah border, turning left and wandering around the southern part of the state.  Being retired I can adjust my schedule, so:

Is April a good time to go?  Earlier?  Later?

When does it get busy (when do the tourists arive)?

My usual pattern is to dry camp on FS or BLM land and hit the National Parks and Monuments during the day.  I usually spend most of my time out of the NP's because I travel and hike with a dog.

Any information is greatly appreciated:

Where to go.

What/where to avoid.

Any tips on camping  and hiking in the desert with a dog (new experience for both of us).

Thanks, jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:33 AM

I am planning to a trip to Utah this spring.  Coming from Minnesota, driving Interstate 70 to the Utah border, turning left and wandering around the southern part of the state.  Being retired I can adjust my schedule, so:

Is April a good time to go?  Earlier?  Later?

Any information is greatly appreciated:

Where to go.

What/where to avoid.

Any tips on camping  and hiking in the desert with a dog (new experience for both of us).

Thanks, jim

Jim,

You will want a copy of this book.  We've been 5 times and are going again in May.  Over the years, we have come to appreciate the off season in the NParks.  Haven't got boondocking gear yet, and are really looking forward to having that and seeing all kinds of new places.  

Can you take dogs hiking the NP?  If so, consider doing:

- Spring Creek Canyon in Capitol Reef

- Zion Narrows

- Angel's Landing (Zion)

- Bryce - Fairyland loop

- Canyonlands - Needles district  LOTS of great hikes here.  Our fave is Peekaboo.

- Natural Bridges NM - hike the whole bridges loop.  Tough going in the riparian vegetation, but you won't see anyone all day.

Vic

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

Southern/Southeast Utah is my favorite place, period. :)

Timing:  I wouldn't go earlier than April -- I've been snowed on in Canyonlands in April, and areas like Bryce Canyon are higher than Canyonlands.

But, of course, who knows how weather will turn out in a particular year.  If you were going to spend a lot of time in lower elevations, like around Lake Powell, than April might be ideal.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:43 AM

April in Southern Utah is pretty nice, not many of the Summer crowd is there yet.

The first half of May is better weather wise.

Safety First.

Just be weather wise and have some way to know what the forecast for the next several days is predicted to be.

Not unusual to have snow and rain (gobs of each), sometimes together, right after some very nice, if not warm days, of course the higher you go the better chance you have of snow and rain. Snow and rain usually equals the dirt roads are a mess. If that happens, and you're caught, be road wise, sometimes it's better to stay put and wait until the roads dry out. Needless to say, always have enough food, water and heat for several days. Gas up often, some distances are long to the next gas.

Have a great time.

Utah is one of my favorite places.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:47 AM

Jim, another good book, 'Photographing the Southwest - Volume 1' by Laurent Martres. This volume focuses on Southern Utah. While it is oriented towards photographers, it points out many fascinating places to go. Some are easy, some are difficult to get to. Well worth the $25. There are volumes for Colorado and New Mexico, and one for Arizona.

As MarkBC mentioned, watch the weather.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:18 AM

Dogs and the NPS don't get along well, even if you keep them leashed they have so many restrictions that it makes it impossible to see a lot of the really cool stuff,  I don't currently have a dog but several friends do and if the dog(s) are coming we adjust the itinerary accordingly.

I'm another one who can't get enough of the slickrock country.  While The Needles District of Canyonlands is off limits there is stuff to explore in Indian Creek before you enter the park.

GSENM is run by the BLM so four legged friends are no problem.  Head out to Egypt and spend a couple days taking in the views.

Do you and the dog backpack?  Depending on how adventurous you want to be Buckskin Gulch allows dogs, and while in the area you might apply for a permit to hike The Wave thought the May drawing may have just taken place but you can always try for a spot in the lottery for the next day if you are in the Kanab area.

Valley of the Gods would be Dog friendly as would the hike to House on Fire.  Not sure about Grand Gulch.

The San Rafael Swell  is pretty open and deserving of exploration, especially Sinbad Country.

One thing you might consider is starting south and working north.  You might be a bit early for the cactus blooms but could get some here and there.

Easter Weekend in Moab is to be avoided at all costs as are the weeks immediately before and after unless you really like crowds.

Hope the dog can carry his/her own water!

Bob

Edited by Cayuse, 09 February 2016 - 04:16 AM.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#7 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:18 AM

I live in Southern Utah so here is my perspective. I have lived here for 20 years so my somewhat jaded observation is....

Southern Utah has been seeing a huge increase in visitation. Late March to mid April now seem to me to be very busy, especially the National Parks. Same for the Moab area, there are so many organized events around those areas in the spring and fall that it is a total zoo at times. It is hard to find a weekend that doesn't have something going on.

Utah spreads out spring break and everyone from the smog ridden Salt Lake heads south. Weather depends on altitude as much as anything, you can get snow until May in the high country. Good news just head somewhere else, it's a big place. Rain can make a lot of the backcountry roads a mess so be ready to adjust plans and stay off the roads if they are muddy.     

The good news it that there is a lot of out of the way areas that don't get a lot of visitation especially mid week. You just have to seek them out.

You won't be able to take a dog on trails in the National Parks, but there are plenty of trails outside of the parks that you can hike on.

Keep your dog in control, watch out for snakes, they are out and moving around in the spring.

Dsrtrat

Edited by dsrtrat, 09 February 2016 - 03:46 AM.

#8 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

The San Rafael Swell is good country - the Hanksville side keeps you away from the Moab crowds. If you get to the west side of the Swell, that tends to keep you away from the crowds on the east front and has good hiking. Depending on weather, further south to Grand Staircase can be great. It is much more busy than it used to be, but there are still many places to feel pretty remote out there.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#9 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

​l visited Utah in May 2013 with two dogs.  I loved it.  I stayed in the middle, the San Rafael Swell, Capital

Reef, the Burr Trail, the GSENM, and then the north side of the Grand Canyon.  Nowhere on the trip was it crowded with lots of people and many places I had to myself or shared only with a few people.  The dogs also has a great time. 

I'm slowly adding my camping spots to my blog.  Here is a link to my all time favorite spot on the Burr Trail.

https://searchingfor...vorite-nowhere/

Regarding tips for travel in the desert.  I brought a good tire pressure gauge for my trip in case I got suck in the sand and had to let air out of the tires.  Nothing I was planning on doing, but I'm glad I had it.  I had to use it to get out of a spot. 

And one more thought.  I learned a lot from the Roads Less Traveled pdf and map pdf at the link below.

http://www.sanrafaelcountry.com/

Edited by searching for nowhere, 20 February 2016 - 04:40 PM.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#10 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:17 AM

I second the series of books by Laurent Martres. He just issued a new edition of the volume on Utah. They are also available as a download from Amazon Kindle store for your tablet. He states the time of day and season, whether access is easy or difficult and rates their scenic quotient. Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Southern California, Colorado/New Mexico, Arizona.

We travel with our dogs, also. We tend to avoid national parks because dogs are rightfully not allowed on trails. There are so many federal and state lands to bring your dogs to. Besides, the parks are crowded. State parks mostly allow leashed dogs on trails but you may want to enquirer at each one. Have a wonderful trip.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users