85 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

In a couple of months we'll be picking up our Hallmark Everest and putting it on our F-350 CC SRW.

The combination will probably come in around 10,000 pounds and I'm looking for advise on what to use to level the rig when we stop.

I've seen the plastic Lego blocks advertised but the reviews sound horrible and given the expected weight of our rig I'm not sure they'll work.

The other option is the old 2x wood blocks but they are quit heavy and bulky.

So what do you guy (particularly those with full size trucks) use to level your rigs?

Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

I, too, was scared off by the poor reviews of plastic Levelers for a while...and I used other methods to level my rig.

But I eventually decided to give Lynx Levelers a try, and I've used them successfully and happily for several years since -- without breakdown of the levelers.  Sooo much lighter and easier than the wood I used to use, and they're always available -- unlike the rocks I used to use.

Here's a post with links to other threads on this topic.

By the way:  I remember reading negative reviews in the past...but reviews of Lynx Levelers on Amazon are great.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

I cut up some 3/4" plywood into 9"x12" pieces.  They've worked well for me.

Edited by LookyLou, 11 February 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

I use the plastic lego-like blocks but have found they can get permanently distorted if put directly on uneven rocks. A first layer of plywood or 2- by helps a lot. Crawling up on them in 4-low also helps.

Second gen Tundra + Hawk
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

I, too, was scared off by the poor reviews of plastic Levelers for a while...and I used other methods to level my rig.

But I eventually decided to give Lynx Levelers a try, and I've used them successfully and happily for several years since -- without breakdown of the levelers.  Sooo much lighter and easier than the wood I used to use, and they're always available -- unlike the rocks I used to use.

Here's a post with links to other threads on this topic.

By the way:  I remember reading negative reviews in the past...but reviews of Lynx Levelers on Amazon are great.

Me too-got very tired of 2 by 4's and rocks and things-always seemed to forget about them and leave them behind-never had that problem with those red Lynx :D

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

I have been using just wood blocks for years,so far haven't forgotten them.

I can store them so that they are easy to get to and yet out of the way.

They don't take up any space where more important items can go.

"A place for everything and everything in it's place"

Frank

PS, If you worry about forgetting the "plain" wood blocks,paint them,red or yellow.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

At a developed campground with paved parking pad I use the plastic lego style blocks and they work great.   If I am in an undeveloped area I usually prefer to dig into the earth with a shovel to lower the corner(s) as necessary for leveling.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#8 carld

carld

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationDecatur Texas

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:33 PM

I have one set with 4 lego blocks and  also use a 6 ton hydraulic jack from Lowes hardware that I keep it in the truck.  The jack  was inexpensive, compact  and can be used for a lot of things.  Usually I manage to get within 2 degrees with the legos and with a strategically placed jack can get within 1 deg.   I also attached level indicators to the couch frame just inside the door.  

On my last camper I replaced the screws that held the stove top frame down with  three hand adjustable screw levelers.  It  worked nice to finish off the leveling process.  Haven't figured out how to do the same with my ATC.

Edited by carld, 11 February 2016 - 08:34 PM.

2002 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2015 Ocelot

2006 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2018 78" Ocelot

2011 Tundra AC 4x4 with 2010 78" Ocelot

#9 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

We weight 7500 pounds loaded and wet and use 2x6's which were cut from wood we already had.  Still on the original set after 400 nights (free always lasts, only expensive breaks :)).  We found using 4 wheel drive to climb up on to our blocks helps a lot compared to rear wheels only.

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

We use the Andersen levelers.

http://www.andersenh...er-leveler.aspx

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic