• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Vestal

Jay Vestal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:00 AM

Just purchased a new Eagle camper for my Ranger.

After 30 years of backpacking, I've decided this is as close to the RV world I want to get, and hope to put in many years and many miles with the FWC.

I'm surprised how difficult it is to lift the roof, and wonder if anyone out there has any tricks or designed an assist to raise it.

I can do it now, but see a time coming when I can't.

Suggestions welcome.:confused:

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:13 AM

The only things that make it more difficult are weight on top, and lack of ventilation. It takes a huge amount of air inside when it opens. Make sure you have the door open.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:42 PM

Welcome to the forum Jay,

The method I use to raise the roof goes as follows:

Release the slide bolt from the rear panel, Position your self under the rear lift bar. Now visualize the roof as raised. Take a deep breath and lift the roof in one smooth motion. Now do the same at the front portion. This is the power of positive thinking. I know it may sound corny but this works for me. As stated be sure the door is open. Also double check that all the outside latches have been released( it could happen:rolleyes:). Now set out the chairs and appease the camper gods. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

#4 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

And don't install a 185 watt solar panel.

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:17 PM

Jay,

Welcome aboard. The secret to lifting the roof is practice, practice, practice.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

Hi Jay, welcome to the forum. Do a search on this because several members have built mechanical lifts to assist with the roof. I have an idea but don't have the McGyver gene to run with it. So I'll throw it out here for anyone to try it.

Many of us have the mechanical jacks, or legs, for our campers. My thought is that it shouldn't be too difficult to use one of these as a way of lifting the roof. Since the handle fits on at the top, that would hit the ceiling, so a socket on a screw gun would have to be used. And some type of footing on the top to push against the roof as you lift it would be necessary. Seems like it would be easy enough for someone with the right skills.

Ted

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hi Jay. Its about time you showed up I've been keeping these heathens at bay on my own.

I lift the rear first with door and window open. Then I put a towel on my noggin and position myself under the roof panel and push up with my head and the lifting bar.

Now if I could just find an easier way of attatching the turn buckles. It aint easy being old.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 5 Speed

5 Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

I have a bad back and have lifted the roof with two 6 Gallons of gas up top plus a Thule Case pretty full but it is about technique. I have a 6 inch piece of evazote camping pad for the top of my head. With the back door open just stand up lifting with your legs only. Don't wear a baseball hat, the rivet has gotten me a few times. Now I have a bench built across the front which allows me to stand up and put the roof on the top of my shoulders and I just stand up again pushing the front bar forward. I would say it takes a little practice but I can put my shoulders on the lifting board

Method 2. I was camping in the desert and released the side buckles opened the rear door and a huge gust of wind blew the thing up with both the front and rear in position. Just climbed in and latched the straps. Scared me to death it happened so fast.:eek:
2000 Toyota Access Cab TRD 4WD 5-speed manual. 4WheelCamper Hawk shell w/extended bed and custom interior.

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:19 AM

If you get halfway through a lift and are having trouble - it is better to abort than to use your head to assist in lifting the roof! The resultant stiff neck almost ruined my vacation!

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:04 PM

Interesting how many use their head. I just push with my arms. I have the short bed. I wonder how much weight the long bed adds. If thats harder to lift.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users