#1 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:01 AM

Took the FWC up a retired but maintained forestry road with snow.  The road report by the ski club that maintains it called for mandatory chains.  Boy, am I glad I decided to try the chains on the new truck (chains that I owned from the previous truck).  Soooooo.....I found out while I am still in my driveway that my previous tires were 31.5" and the new truck has 33".  :-) Happy to realize I have 33s but sad to realize I have to replace my chains.  

Sooo....now that I have a one ton plus the camper on the back.  I am thinking I would like a more robust chain.  Although I like the idea of v-bar chains, they are not class "s" rated so I think I will skip them.  I am assuming that cable Z chains are not robust enough for my one ton plus FWC on the back.  So that leaves me with ladder chains.  I am narrowing it down to non-twisted, cam-ed, ladder chains.

What are your experiences so far?

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

If I need chains, I ski or walk. Had enough of messing around with those things during my logging years.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

Look at options on tirechains.com  I went with one of the diamond pattern ones for my F350 w/ Hallmark  I've only put them on once, to make sure they fit and checking clearances.  Got a few funny looks driving around the neighborhood.  I'm hoping to never have to use them in anger and that they were a waste of money, but...like insurance, there if you need 'em

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

Look at options on tirechains.com  I went with one of the diamond pattern ones for my F350 w/ Hallmark  I've only put them on once, to make sure they fit and checking clearances.  Got a few funny looks driving around the neighborhood.  I'm hoping to never have to use them in anger and that they were a waste of money, but...like insurance, there if you need 'em

Also mandatory under some conditions we have here in Ca.

I carry them for all cars don't even want to use them,but if the "snow police" put up the chain required sign R1/R2/R3 you better have them.Don't want to pay the fine if caught not having them on. I was told that you can be fined for every "sign" you pass.

That can add up.

Yea hate to put out the $100+ for a set,especially for my 4X4 but,better safe than sorry.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

Only been forced to chain up once and that was when I was towing. Still I carry em just in case.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:33 PM

For my 2015 Silverado 2500 4X4, the old chains wouldn't work.  I had a bad past experience with cables while towing a trailer over the Donner Summit.  They broke apart and did some damage to my last truck.  The ones on the trailer also broke.  I wanted chains for this truck that I could use while towing if necessary.  I went to Les Schwab and they let me try the chains on in the parking lot to be sure they would fit before I bought them.  I liked being able to look at the chains, and make sure they would work, before spending the money.  Unfortunately, there is not enough clearance to put chains or cables (I don't think) on the front.  I don't remember what brand I bought, but they appear to be good quality.  I have not had to use them yet on this truck.

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

On my new truck, with 20" wheels, they recommend not using chains at all. My local tire guys said that Kevlar tire socks are legal, but they won't stand up to repeated hard use. He also said this is what the CHP uses(?).

Since I have a little Ford Ranger with two sets of chains, that's going to be my vehicle for wandering the snowy lands.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

Also mandatory under some conditions we have here in Ca.

I carry them for all cars don't even want to use them,but if the "snow police" put up the chain required sign R1/R2/R3 you better have them.Don't want to pay the fine if caught not having them on. I was told that you can be fined for every "sign" you pass.

Here in WA they are a bit ambiguous on whether the requirements are  just for commercial vehicles, although the wording does say all, their placement diagrams only depict commercial trucks.  There are various road segments/passes that it is required to have chains with you from Nov 1 to Apr 1 no matter what, plus a spare set.  Sometimes they word it as required on vehicles over 10k GVWR, and other times just GVW.

When they say "Traction Tires Required", chains are required on all vehicles with a GVWR over 10k, including passenger trucks and SUVs.  Yet when it's "Tire Chains Required" 4 wheel drive and AWD vehicles are exempted (with a caveat that in extreme conditions it could be required on those vehicles ). 

Bottom line, I carry chains (although I don't have the 3rd as an extra set)

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

In practice if 4x4 and snow tires aren't enough they'll just close the road until conditions improve.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

In practice if 4x4 and snow tires aren't enough they'll just close the road until conditions improve.

That's my theory.

When the R3 sign goes up I don't go out on the road.

But always carry chains. Just in case.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users