47 replies to this topic

#11 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:48 AM

I carry thick "ladder" chains. I have only had to use them several times but when I needed them I absolutely needed them.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#12 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:19 PM

I have a 93 Dodge Ram Diesel 4x4 3/4 ton.  I ski often at Mammoth Mtn and use my truck to drive from the Santa Barbara area there and back.  In over 10 years of driving to and from Mammoth I have never had to use chains. I have had to use fwd many times, one time from Mohave all the way to Mammoth. However,  I always carry chains none the less.

I did go exploring east of Mammoth one year and needed fwd plus chains to get through an unplowed section of a graded dirt road.   The snow was about 2 - 3 feet deep.  I turned around when it got over 3 feet deep and looked to be getting deeper (I was heading for a pass and stopped short of it)..  No sense pushing things and getting stuck.

;-)

Usually I only have my shell on my truck when I go to Mammoth.   

Edited by ckent323, 22 February 2016 - 09:19 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#13 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

I have a 93 Dodge Ram Diesel 4x4 3/4 ton.  I ski often at Mammoth Mtn and use my truck to drive from the Santa Barbara area there and back.  In over 10 years of driving to and from Mammoth I have never had to use chains. I have had to use fwd many times, one time from Mohave all the way to Mammoth. However,  I always carry chains none the less.

I did go exploring east of Mammoth one year and needed fwd plus chains to get through an unplowed section of a graded dirt road.   The snow was about 2 - 3 feet deep.  I turned around when it got over 3 feet deep and looked to be getting deeper (I was heading for a pass and stopped short of it)..  No sense pushing things and getting stuck.

;-)

The time you were at Mammoth, did you have your camper on the back?

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

Just FYI, on a California road under chain control you are required to have chains in your vehicle. Here is the text -

If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

The source is here -

http://www.dot.ca.go...s.htm#fourwheel

Also note that if your truck is commercial and over 6500 lbs. gross weight you need to install chains whenever chain controls are posted.

If I have snow tires on a heavy-duty commercial vehicle, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. There is no exemption for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) equipped with snow tires. Chains must be installed on heavy-duty commercial vehicles whenever chain controls are posted.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:08 PM

You are required to carry chains in Oregon in "snow zones" and they do not close the roads as quickly as they do in some other areas (i.e., California).  I drove on Hwy 97 south of Bend just before Thanksgiving and there were multiple accidents, a vehicle on its side and near white-out conditions.  The highway remained open until it became overly congested with emergency and recovery vehicles.

I have Laclede tire chains, purchased through Schawbies.  I have two sets, front and rear.  If I remember right, one set is ladder with v-bar, the other is standard ladder.  I haven't "needed" chains, but have limited slips front and rear.  I have chains as part of my recovery kit (chains, traction devices, chain saw, etc.).

#16 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

You are required to carry chains in Oregon in "snow zones" and they do not close the roads as quickly as they do in some other areas (i.e., California).  I drove on Hwy 97 south of Bend just before Thanksgiving and there were multiple accidents, a vehicle on its side and near white-out conditions.  The highway remained open until it became overly congested with emergency and recovery vehicles.

I have Laclede tire chains, purchased through Schawbies.  I have two sets, front and rear.  If I remember right, one set is ladder with v-bar, the other is standard ladder.  I haven't "needed" chains, but have limited slips front and rear.  I have chains as part of my recovery kit (chains, traction devices, chain saw, etc.).

So no preference or enough experience between v-bar versus standard ladder chain?

#17 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:27 PM

Based on the construction of the chains I wouldn't use the v-bar on a paved surface.  I bought the chains specifically for off road use.  I used to use Laclede Alpine Sport chains (I think that's what they are called).  They are a diamond pattern and SAE compliant.  They work great, but again, the ladder type I bought were specifically for off road (and the legality of having to carry chains as I live in a snow zone).

#18 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

Vbar chains are for ice and ride extra horrible. They also destroy pavement if you spin the tires. I used to use chains a bit on my 2wd's. I also chain up all my snow removal stuff like my tractor and snow blower. Chains tend to come 2 link and 4 link in the ladder style. This is the number of links between the cross chains. 2 link chains have twice as many cross chains. They ride better and provide better traction. Worth the little higher cost.

053_zpsxbkcp4jn.jpg

Chains can also be a life saver in mud.

#19 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:48 AM

I have a 20+ year old set of cable chains. Purchased for my old '77 Blazer, resized to fit my Tundra. I used to snow ski a lot and the chains have still never been used. Thought I was going to use them one day going skiing on Hwy 108, saw the R3 requirement go up as I got to the Caltrans truck. Told him I had chains and would pull over and chain up. He said wait a minute as his radio went off. Was told not to bother with the chains the road was closing. 

#20 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:49 AM

I have ladder chains as well and use them maybe once a year, usually just to get out of my gravel driveway. Yeah, they are a bit of a pain to deal with, but not as much of a pain as being stuck or slipping toward the house. The standard ladder chain has always done the job for me, and be sure to get tensioners, too, even if you have cams on the chains.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users