tire chains snow chains

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Took the FWC up a retired but maintained forestry road with snow.  The road report by the ski club that maintains it called for mandatory chains.  Boy, am I glad I decided to try the chains on the new truck (chains that I owned from the previous truck).  Soooooo.....I found out while I am still in my driveway that my previous tires were 31.5" and the new truck has 33".  :-) Happy to realize I have 33s but sad to realize I have to replace my chains.  

Sooo....now that I have a one ton plus the camper on the back.  I am thinking I would like a more robust chain.  Although I like the idea of v-bar chains, they are not class "s" rated so I think I will skip them.  I am assuming that cable Z chains are not robust enough for my one ton plus FWC on the back.  So that leaves me with ladder chains.  I am narrowing it down to non-twisted, cam-ed, ladder chains.

What are your experiences so far?

PEWAG.com, they make every type of chain and can direct you if nothing else.

Happy trails..

Edited by Mickey Bitsko, 19 February 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#22 dasadab

dasadab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:42 AM

Anyone have any experience with these cables.  They get very good reviews and are light.  

http://www.amazon.co...nceSuccess=true

#23 northshorehenry

northshorehenry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC Canada

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:04 AM

Anyone have any experience with these cables.  They get very good reviews and are light.  

http://www.amazon.co...nceSuccess=true

That's the chains I had on my 3/4 ton without a camper and it worked fine.  In fact, I still have them and am trying to sell them because my new tires are too big for them.  :-)

#24 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:23 AM

It is that time of the season again... Snow and snow traction aids... CHAINS.  Lets talk about it again this season

Brought this post to life just to show some of the comments were addressed before if somebody wants to read them.

But my question is has anybody tried Les Schwab quick fit chains that have the diamond pattern??  Have they held up with use? Something better for my Dodge? 

https://www.lesschwa...ore/tire-chains

Now that I have the Dodge Ram 2500 with flatbed Hawk my gal wants to make trips down to Mono Lake for photographic possibilities.  As you know the CHP will require you with a 4X4 that has snow rated tires to carry chains.  

I think there is another post regarding chains and will look for it.  

As a side note, the tire size for my Dodge Ram just happens to be the same for my 2005 Toyota 4 Runner.  A win - win that I can transfer them to either vehicle.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#25 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:58 PM

I have lived in Tahoe for over 20 years, CHP has never asked to see my chains. If 4WD and chains required, ie R3, stay at home. If it changes while out, go slow and get home.

I have noticed, last year, a new trend where CHP/caltrans disallows cable type chains, they kind of suck any ways, and only allows ladder chains, ie metal link chains, old school.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#26 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for your comments.  I have not used chains since buying all-wheel drive vehicles.  At the moment I do not own chains that fit our current vehicles.

When you say  ..."a new trend where CHP/caltrans disallows cable type chains, they kind of suck any ways, and only allows ladder chains, ie metal link chains, old school."...

I would consider the diamond pattern with the quick fit style chains a ladder style, agree?

Buying chains and carrying them in the vehicle is more for when I'm out 120 miles from home and are caught in a unexpected, un- planned snow even and just want to get somewhere or get home.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#27 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

I think any kind of chain that has actual links as opposed to cables is going to be much better than nothing.  They can be a PITA to put on but I can't imagine traveling in snow country, especially with the camper, without them.  I carry them year round, I've used them several times in the summer to walk right out of mud.  They're some of the best backcountry insurance you can carry.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#28 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:12 PM

Living in snow country, I don't get this fascination with chains.  Good snow tires OR chains is what is required by the RCMP on our Northern highways and passes.

#29 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

In certain areas, you are required by law to carry chains or have traction tires (as defined in statute).  It is illegal to operate a vehicle on some roadways, during certain parts of the year, without at least having them on/in the vehicle.  Tire chains are much less expensive than having two sets of tires/wheels, or paying someone to mount snow tires every year.

#30 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:35 PM

According to the CHP page, cable chains are still okay, sometimes.

Are cable chains permitted?

Usually. They are permitted for passenger cars and light trucks under virtually all conditions. Cables are not as effective as link-type chain under severe conditions at higher elevations and steep grades for “big-rigs” and may not be permitted depending on local conditions as determined by Caltrans. Whenever chain controls are posted over Donner Pass on Interstate 80, heavy trucks are usually required to have link-type chain on at least the main drive axle.

So, even though I have no intention of using them I'll toss them in just in the rare case they ever ask. My personal experience has been they glance at you and if you are 4x4 and have some kind mud and snow or all terrain tire they wave you on.

And yeah, if its R3 conditions I'm staying home (or waiting it out if I'm on the road). 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users