• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:17 AM

Stopped in at my local Les Schwab tire store.  I looked at their quick fit chains that have the diamond pattern.  The on on display had a very thin gauge chain and would not pass in my books as a chain.  I asked about them and was told the one I was looking at had a 2 mm thickness, but the one for my truck had 4.5 mm for the thickness of the link.  Much better!.

They pulled one from the back for my size and looked it over and it seemed reasonable, but not nearly big and stout as the traditional ladder style as I'm used to using.  My size for tire size LT 265/70/R17 and cost $145.00 a pair.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#32 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:44 AM

Living in snow country, I don't get this fascination with chains.  Good snow tires OR chains is what is required by the RCMP on our Northern highways and passes.

It's more of a reality than a fascination in my opinion.  Good snow tires help but they are nowhere near as effective as good chains especially if you venture off major roadways occasionally.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#33 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:13 PM

Using ladder chains I have had for 25 years when they cost 14.95 (on sale) 3/4 ton 95 Dodge Ram. I keep them in the original canvas bag with gloves.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#34 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:16 PM

...after the original bags deteriorate, you can find a 2 1/2 gallon bucket with the screw-on lid to keep them in. It has a nice handle on it to make carrying easier and the ones I get when buying round chlorine biscuits for the pool even come with those dessicant packages. You can just remove them on a nice hot day, let the chains warm up and any moisture evaporate, dry off the dessicants in the oven and reseal the bucket.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#35 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:54 PM

...  The on on display had a very thin gauge chain and would not pass in my books as a chain.  I asked about them and was told the one I was looking at had a 2 mm thickness, ...

That is ridiculous. That's like the chain used to hang florescent strip lighting.

But, if it was cheap, and could pass CHP for compliance ... :ph34r:

#36 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:47 AM

That is ridiculous. That's like the chain used to hang florescent strip lighting.

But, if it was cheap, and could pass CHP for compliance ... :ph34r:

That one was on a smaller tire on display. The one for my size is 4.5 mm thick. But yes the one I saw on display I would not want that thin gauge on my wife's car.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#37 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

...after the original bags deteriorate, you can find a 2 1/2 gallon bucket with the screw-on lid to keep them in. It has a nice handle on it to make carrying easier and the ones I get when buying round chlorine biscuits for the pool even come with those dessicant packages. You can just remove them on a nice hot day, let the chains warm up and any moisture evaporate, dry off the dessicants in the oven and reseal the bucket.

Thats a good idea gotta get the pool lol in SF Pools are for the VERY RICH, but I do have a very rich friend.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#38 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:49 AM

Ok, I looked around the internet for diamond pattern chains.  Most all have alloy links and pretty thin.  Found company Quality Chains and they supply Les Schwabs with the thinner models.  They also offer a stouter version in a 5.5 mm thickness with a more traditional rubber tighter.  

https://www.qualityc...djuster-style-0

On their web page they also sell through Auto Zone, well I went down and ordered 2 sets and will see what they look like.  I would rather have a more robust, thicker chain than a lighter weight chain.  The next one down has 3.7 mm thickness and sure that is what Les Schwab is accurately selling.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#39 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:31 PM

For any California driver or someone who is headed here there is an article in the Sunday SF Chronicle

by Tom Stienstra about chains/snow driving.

It's some good info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#40 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

Got a link?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users