#1 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hey all!

I'm about to embark on another Mojave field biology season in a few weeks, so I'm fiddling around with my truck and camper  (2012 Tacoma w/ 2013 Bobcat) trying to get it all field ready! The weather's been nice and warm here in Bend, OR so working outside is actually an option.   

Basically, I'm searching for alternative ways to attach a Trasharoo to the rear of the camper.  Currently I run the Trasharoo's straps over the campers rear door and buckle the straps between the screen and the door.  This is a simple way to haul the 'Roo but I have to slam the door shut to get the latch to really engage.  Basically the straps prevent the door from getting a good seal at the lock.  Also, if I don't lock the camper door, it will swing open on the bumpy Mojave roads.  

While the current system works, I'm just wondering if anyone else has found a way to mount the 'Roo differently?  I was thinking of adding some bolts and hangers to the rear door and ditching the straps.  This would involve drilling though the door.  I contacted Marty @ ATC and he said this was possible but I would need to add some metal backer plate to the door for support.  While this makes sense to me and I'm comfortable doing it, I wanted to check  here before getting to the point of no return with the drill!!!  

It's important for me to have the 'Roo be able to be easily removed as I only use it a few months of the year.  

Now back to work.  I'm adding another 105 watt panel to the roof today, upgrading to a MPPT charge controller, and installing some Icon rear shocks and Wheelers bump stops.  I'll try and post some updates as I go.  

Thanks!  - Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• Cleveland.jpg

2012 Tacoma TRD Access Cab

2013 ATC Bobcat

#2 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

My experience with the door is that there is really no structure to it- just the light aluminum frame with a foam panel. I would be concerned about hanging anything with any weight on it. Might be ok if it was reinforced sufficiently. The other downside is that it would obscure the window which I like being able to see out of while driving. I've had the same question and haven't come up with a solution. I'm curious to see what others say.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

A bar attached to the rear jack plates which you could hang it on?

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:54 PM

I used to carry mine on the door of my Eagle and had no problems but now I have an Aluminess rear bumper with spare and carry it that way.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:24 AM

Do you have rear steps? Another place to hang the bag from. If you had your Jacks on you could fabricate brackets and not have put a hole through your camper. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 14 February 2016 - 12:25 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#6 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:29 AM

@takesiteasy - yeah, I'm thinking bolts through the door aren't the best idea.  I too, like to see out the window and when I have the 'Roo hanging off the door it already mostly blocks the view.  

@HappyJax - good idea using the jack plates.  I'll keep thinking on that.

@Stalking Light - well, there's really no problem with just strapping to the door other than its a bit hard to close.  I had a tire swing out on my old Ford with a FWC and it is where I also put the Trasharoo.  I miss that swing out sometimes ;)

@longhorn1 - I do not have rear steps installed...yet.  I will likely order them from ATC on Monday.  Marty from ATC said he could send a diagram of where to drill the holes.  I had the steps on my old FWC and miss them.  So there are a must-have upgrade!  

Thanks everyone.  These tips are all helpful.  I didn't make any mental progress on the Trasharoo attachment today but I did get a 2nd solar panel installed and also some new Icon rear shocks and Wheelers bump stops.  So a good day!  

Cheers and Happy weekend!  - Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7524.jpg

Edited by adamdrummer, 14 February 2016 - 04:37 AM.

2013 ATC Bobcat

#7 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

You could probably have someone fab up a small swing away bracket that mounts to your jack mounts.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#8 adamdrummer

adamdrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBend, OR

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

Well, I got my steps installed.  One of the easiest mods I've done yet.  Took all of 20 mins or so.  Marty from ATC sent me a pic of a rear of a Bobcat with the steps.  So I basically went off of that.  All it took was a 1/4" drill bit and a socket wrench.  I caulked the holes and the steps so hopefully there will be no sneaky h20 leaks.   

I thought I might have to pull the fridge to reach the drivers side one, but with my 12v compressor fridge there was plenty of room to tighten the nut through the vent compartment on the drivers side without having to undo the reefer.  

Now I'm going to see if I can rig up a attachment system in combo with the steps and jack plate.  Hopefully it doesn't block the heater exhaust.  I'm thinking I may have to move the H20 outlet valve to the side as well.  

Oh well, there's always more tinkering to do...

Happy weekend!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7571.jpg

2013 ATC Bobcat

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

I hang mine off the gas can holder but one of these days I'll install some footman loops and do it that way.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

Footman loops are a great idea. I will start looking for some that maybe can replace the rear footsteps that I now see as not very necessary.

Edited by XJINTX, 21 February 2016 - 03:41 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATC, Bobcat, Trasharoo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users