• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#11 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:43 PM

Enjoying the discussion, I understand why FWC uses the sure power separator. It is plug and play for the buyer, however as this thread point out not always the best.  I noticed that sometimes my camper batteries were not all the way charged after driving. My truck still had the old solenoid under the hood from my 2002 Hawk. I just removed the sure power separator and use the solenoid. I know if my truck is running I am charging the camper. 

Any down side to this?  Also I like the idea of the two gages to be sure your are connected. I might put them in my truck cab. I would thing this is a better location. If you are driving down the road and for some reason the sure power disconnects you could not see the indicator in the camper until you arrived at your camp.

#12 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

Bill,

I do like your current setup as you would always know that your camper is getting power when you are driving. I am assuming that your solenoid allows charging even if your camper batteries are depleted?

I originally thought about putting the monitor in the truck instead of the camper. I decided that in the camper it would be easier to install and use for me. 

But I do believe there is a LED output from the Blue Sea System that would allow you to have another additional LED monitor on the system. This way you could have one in the camper with the switch and another one in your truck. That would be pretty neat and the best of both worlds. 

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#13 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

In case you were interested, here are a couple of videos that describe the system a little better.

#14 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:50 AM

Great info. Once I get the tarp off my Eagle in the spring I'll be checking to see if my separator is a recalled one. If it is I'll probably do this.

#15 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

This mod was entered into the Truck Camper Magazine competition.
It has worked out really well for me in the last several months.

I always know exactly how my batteries are being charged with this system. No more problems with the battery separator cutting out when the voltage is low.

It has even charged my truck batteries when the truck is parked somewhere for a week while we camp.

I'd highly recommend it if you want more control over the stock system.

Here's the link to truck camper magazine if you are interested:

http://www.truckcamp...st-medium-mods/

#16 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:02 PM

DrJ, I read your post with interest.  Thanks for posting!

Interesting, FWC is now installing the Blue Sea Systems separator in new campers.  The BS unit has a 12.25V low voltage lock out.

The ML-ACR 7622, applicable to FWCs even though I prefer Deutsch DTM connectors as in the 7622100B unit, is a superb unit and have been using it on my flats boat for many years.  I have a 12V crank battery and a 24V (2x 12V batteries) trolling motor batteries on my boat.  I use the Blue Sea battery selector allowing me to use any battery for any purpose, in an emergency.

However, one important thing to remember, an alternator is not a battery charger, at best it is a battery maintainer.  While I would certainly manually override the lockout on the ML-ACR in an emergency situation, I would not routinely manually override the low voltage lockout to charge the camper batteries.

There are many good articles from subject matter experts why an alternator is not a battery charger.  Here is one from Optima.

On the road and camping, I try to maximize solar charging to the maximum extent possible.  But, nothing replaces shore or generator supplied electrical power to restore camper batteries to full capacity.

Edited by Advmoto18, 27 July 2016 - 11:20 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#17 395traveler

395traveler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationColusa CA

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

DrJ

Thanks so much for the dissertation on the separator. When I was running my three way fridge on DC it was running my batteries down within an hour. I thought someone way smarter than me has had this problem and posted the solution on WTW forums. I did your mod on my 2015 Hawk and what a improvement. Now when fridge is on DC the solar panel and 

hard link to the alternator keeps  batteries fully charged.

Peter K

Edited by 395traveler, 20 September 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#18 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:44 PM

Advmoto 18,

That's for the kind feedback. I was not aware that FWC had made that switch. It would be a good one that would positively impact a lot of their customers.

Peter K,
I'm glad this has been helpful to you. I've really liked it and I use it all the time when I camp. It also keeps my diesel truck batteries well charged if I'm camping for an extended period.

As far as an emergency backup, I agree that it would be a challenge to jump the batteries from the camper. Rather I would allow power to be transfered either directly from the camper or solar charge over time to get enough charge. Not a fast solution but if I didn't have any other option it would work.

#19 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

Cool DrJ, this is a mod I am interested in. So it's (except of the switch) pretty much a direct replacement for the SurePower - no additional connections to the truck? Also, are you still using the 10ga wire from the alternator or did you upgrade that too?

Thanks.

Edited by Stalking Light, 18 September 2016 - 10:27 AM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#20 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

Charlie,
It is a direct replacement and fairly easy to do.
The switch adds a lot to the system and I'd recommend it, but you can certainly run the system without it.

The switch takes a lot more time (and wiring) to make it work.

I have been thinking a lot about upgrading my truck wiring to the camper. It is still the original 10 gauge wire that FWC installs.
Maybe that's my next mod.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery isolator, ACR, Truck charging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users