• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

Thats a great idea.

I thought so too but the reviews on Amazon were mixed at best. Seems to be a lot of problems with rusting and corrosion.

#12 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

I thought so too but the reviews on Amazon were mixed at best. Seems to be a lot of problems with rusting and corrosion.

I read a lot of those too... A lot of the Park Service vehicles at Mt Rainier National Park them and they see a lot of rain and wet conditions with no problem. I know they do lubricate the mechanism every now and then. However they do not use chemicals or salt on the road in the winter, which is where the big corrosion issues come in. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#13 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:06 AM

I read a lot of those too... A lot of the Park Service vehicles at Mt Rainier National Park them and they see a lot of rain and wet conditions with no problem. I know they do lubricate the mechanism every now and then. However they do not use chemicals or salt on the road in the winter, which is where the big corrosion issues come in. 

Good point. Here in CO they don't use salt. And I really want one! :) Hey it is only 43 bucks on Amazon. Maybe I'll grease 'er up good and go fer it!

#14 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

My truck is old school. It has an ECM but no always on fancy electronics to scramble when power is lost. I'll just put a battery switch under the hood. Simple and effective most of the time. I always do that when I install a winch anyway. If the truck is left in a place where I'm concerned I just pull the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse box and take it with me. 30 seconds to do. No relay=no fuel pump= truck no run!

I think that is the BEST advice..imho.

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Ever thought of just putting the transfer case in neutral? I suppose a few might figure it out.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:54 AM

Ever thought of just putting the transfer case in neutral? I suppose a few might figure it out.

That is not that bad of an idea. I have put my transfer case in neutral on my jeep while working on it then spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't drive.

One important thing to remember security wise is a lot of thiefs will sit and watch parking lots/popular trail heads. This allows them to see what people are hiding and where they are hiding it; ie. spare keys, wallets/purses, GPS units, etc. All of my kill switches are set up assuming I have to activate it while being watched.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#17 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

<snip> One important thing to remember security wise is a lot of thiefs will sit and watch parking lots/popular trail heads. This allows them to see what people are hiding and where they are hiding it; ie. spare keys, wallets/purses, GPS units, etc. All of my kill switches are set up assuming I have to activate it while being watched.

Yeah, that's why I want a kill switch or something that I can do from inside my cab.

No lifting the hood or external hiding/retrieving keys. 

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#18 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

That is not that bad of an idea. I have put my transfer case in neutral on my jeep while working on it then spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't drive.

One important thing to remember security wise is a lot of thiefs will sit and watch parking lots/popular trail heads. This allows them to see what people are hiding and where they are hiding it; ie. spare keys, wallets/purses, GPS units, etc. All of my kill switches are set up assuming I have to activate it while being watched.

Edited by Mickey Bitsko, 28 February 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#19 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

anyone else have a Ravelco? I am seriously thinking about it. 

#20 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

What is the year/make of your truck? 

If it is new enough to have a transponder key, then the Ravelco is not going to add much security and adds a pretty major failure point - splices on mission critical wiring harnesses. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users