• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 milehijeepguy

milehijeepguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

So we had discussed replacing our Mid 80s Grandby but have decided that with the lack of used FWC, we will just keep it! So, I have a few things I want to work on. First, is it possible to put standard manual jacks on the corners with this model? Seems there is not enough space on the driver side rear. 

Also, I have considered doing some wood work on the inside and think that is fairly straight forward but, I should probably consider replacing the main floor. The rear passenger side is a bit damaged. My questions, how easy or not so easy is it and does anyone have anywhere they would point me for some insight on that process? I guess my first thing is how the heck to support it in order to remove the floor?

I am going to continue to look for an early 2000s model, or even late 90s but until then, we are pretty content with our current setup. 

Thanks in advance for any insight that you may be able to share. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 0224161301a.jpg

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Give Marty or Jeff over at ATC a call, they can answer your questions, and will work on the camper if it needs repairs.  I have a 20 year old Grandby and they just installed a new kitchen for me, and I couldn't be happier.  (916) 565-1600 

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

As to the replacing the floor pack, look at some of the build threads. There is a separate sticky for the build threads. There are also threads here about the same topic. Some of the threads have good pictures. It has been done before. P.S. You may find that it is about as easy to replace the whole floor pack as to fix the soft spot(s).  I did the whole floor pack on my 1977 Grandby. It wasn't that hard. I would also recommend that you modify the base of the camper (the floor pack) for modern pickups in case you upgrade trucks and to keep the value.

Good luck!  

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#4 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

Here are a couple of threads that might help:

This old Granby build

Keystone Rebuild

Hmm, ColoradoCJ might be close to you . . .

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#5 wvtradbow

wvtradbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:38 AM

I had thought about doing the same jack idea when I redid mine. I had some aluminum corners welded up to mount the jacks on,but just as you have,  I have that same propane setup and I didn't want to remove an redo that side an the only alternative was to mount on the rear corners instead of the rear side and I didn't really believe that would work either,so I scraped the idea..Now if you really felt energetic and wanted to remove the propane holder and was somehow able to match the siding or at least figure a way to cut the  propane door around the jack corner  plate..I hope you would post some pictures….  You can still jack the camper up without the main part of the floor..I think I replaced piece by piece one side at a time if I remember correctly ,just be real careful and do it on a LEVEL SURFACE (my big mistake)..  This old Granby build    was my project last year and I learned a lot and as a matter of fact,I'm going to redo the vinyl again this year,wasn't real happy with that..

#6 milehijeepguy

milehijeepguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

Thanks all for the responses! I have the camper on the ground right now. Removed the over cab portion, paneling and just the passenger side rear most small 12" x 8" section of the floor removed. I am undecided on what I will do with the floor. Part of me says, replace only that small section that is really bad, but I also have the idea that while I have it in the current state, just replace all of the wood. We will see!

#7 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

To support the camper wile you remove and replace the floor...... I looked at some of the build (or rebuild) threads. On some of them, the builder removed the bottom 2 or 3 pieces of siding (mine was stapled to the frame) and ran an 8 foot 2x4 on the inside and outside, and bolted them together. Then used the old style jacks with the mounting plates under the 2x4s, and then cranked up the jacks a few inches to allow me to remove the floor pack. The floor pack comes out easily.  This is what I did.

Due to the location of the propane locker, I would not use corner jacks. My camper (1977) came with 3 jacks that have a mount or bracket that goes under the wing area. I looked on Craigslist and found another set for sale. The plan is to use 4 of these jacks. I think the jacks I have were made by Reico-Titan.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Dusty

2011 Dodge - Cummins

#8 milehijeepguy

milehijeepguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

Hey Dusty, I have been looking at rebuild threads for a number of weeks but I have not seen what you are suggesting. Do you by chance have a link to that one? Thanks!

#9 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:56 PM

Haven't gotten the hang of posting links. But I just saw a build thread and one of the links there was for Sheefdog's build. IIRC, he did a whole floor pack replacement.

Dusty.

ETA: It's the Turtleshell build a few posts below.

Edited by Dusty Roads, 01 March 2016 - 08:57 PM.

2011 Dodge - Cummins

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:59 PM

Turtleshell Build

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users