2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

We did the Nat Geo trip a couple of years ago for my wife's 50th birthday. It was an epic trip if you are interested in the natural world. We were woken up every morning about 6:30 to get ready, have breakfast and get out to a new island every day. When we came back to the ship we had time to relax with other guests and discuss what we've seen and share pictures.

The guides (local) were first rate and very friendly. The wildlife was totally unaware of us. It was just like it must have been when Darwin first walked the islands. We did a lot of diving and snorkeling. We saw the only penguins that live on the equator and even got to swim with them along with hammerhead sharks.

Go. You will not be disappointed!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Edited by smlobx, 25 March 2016 - 10:59 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#13 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:54 PM

smlobx,

Thanks for the report. We understand some of the wildlife is not present year round. Also some times of the year are better for snorkeling. So all seasons have advantages and disadvantages. What time of year did you go and what did you base your decision on?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#14 DLTTN

DLTTN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

I work in Galapagos diving so rarely offer naturalist cruises except to liveaboard clients.  Read: Not a conflict.  All but Linblad mentioned above are agents, not operators.  That's not always a bad thing as customer service can sometimes be better than when booking directly with Ecuador companies.  English as a first language can also be helpful.  If you are going to book direct, be sure they don't charge a huge processing fee on credit cards and/or do have a bank account in Miami just to make paying much easier.  Folks are always a bit taken aback when asked to PayPal or transfer funds to another country.  

Try to get an itinerary that goes out west:  Punta Espinosa, Punta Vicente Roca, Tagus Cove, etc.  The western side of Isabela is so remote, even in Galapagos, with spectacular vistas and wildlife.  Isabela Island has large penguin populations, the most manta rays and is where you would most likely see whales and orcas.  Flightless cormorants are not located further east.  And at times, you can see 5 active volcanoes at once.  Serious birders like eastern itineraries better due to being able to check off the medium tree finch on Floreana, red footed boobies, etc.  Blue footed boobies, turtles, sea lions and marine iguanas are abundant and everywhere, so move on to other must sees on your list.

If you want to compare land visits, go to this link at the Galapagos National Park to get a good idea of what the visit entails:  http://www.galapagos...sdevisita_index

Ask questions before you book.  The naturalist guide will make or break your visit.  Class III naturalist guides are the best.  Many boats will book Class I to save money.  Skip them.  

#15 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

smlobx,

Thanks for the report. We understand some of the wildlife is not present year round. Also some times of the year are better for snorkeling. So all seasons have advantages and disadvantages. What time of year did you go and what did you base your decision on?

Hi Ted-
I believe we went in February. The reason for that time was that Nat Geo had one of their Explorere in Residence, a person by the name of Dr. Sylvia Earl, as the leader of this cruise. Since I was a marine biologist in my former life she has been one of my heroes and I wanted to meet her which was one of the highlights of the trip for me. We had several long conversations over dinner.

Anyway, here is a picture of one of the many creatures you'll find there...

http://i1088.photobu...0100_edited.jpg

Edited by smlobx, 30 March 2016 - 07:14 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#16 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

smlobx,

Sorry for the delay...
We went in March. The main reason I chose this particular trip was that Dr. Sylvia Earl was going to be the "Explorer in Residence" for that trip.
Sylvia is one of the leading Marine Biologist in the world and along with Jacque Costeau were the two people who I most wanted to meet as I was a marine biologist in my former life...

While there may be fauna coming and going depending on the "seasons" I don't think you will have a bad experience...

Here is my photo album from the trip...some of the pictures were actually used by NG in their publication...

http://s1088.photobu...1?sort=3&page=1

Eddie
KO4CPL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users