19 replies to this topic

#1 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:43 AM

Anyone have a good idea how to store your cast iron in a camper so that it doesn't rust. I know about keeping a layer of oil on it, but is there something to wrap it in? Or keeping something desiccant nearby?

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:07 AM

Seasoned right I don't think it will rust. Ours don't, but I don't know exactly what my wife does with their care. Research the care of Dutch Ovens. The Lodge page probably has directions on keeping their iron dutch ovens rust free and ready to use.

Edited by ntsqd, 13 March 2016 - 04:08 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:21 AM

Ours doesn't rust. Use it as normal and keep it seasoned.

#4 Hobart78

Hobart78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCottonwood, CA

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:49 AM

After cleaning and a light coat of oil, place a paper towel on the bottom then fold another paper towel several times so it is thick then place on the rim of the pot and put the lid on. This allows air to circulate helping to remove moisture. There are several Dutch Oven cookoffs in the Northstate each year. If anyone is interested let me know. I can get you the info. 

George

2013 Chevy Silverado 1500. 2014 FWC Hawk.

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:21 AM

I will wipe out a bit of veggie oil with a paper towel before stowing.  

If the pan rusts, then you might consider seasoning it.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

I think it depends somewhat on the humidity in and around the camper.  My dutch oven, which I routinely wiped out with veggie oil and paper towel  has travelled with me everywhere and only rusted in soggy, hot Brisbane Oz.  But EVERYTHING rusted there.  I think I did.

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

Just follow the seasoning directions you get when you bought it and the bit about using oil after you use a bristle brush and hot water to clean it (no soap) and the paper towel and lid for storing helps too!  I've carried both  a Lodge grill and two frying pans in the camper/truck for years (over 30 now for the grill) with no major problems!    Like most  things use take care of it!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 The Unshaven

The Unshaven

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:38 PM

I never use soap on mine and even avoid using water as often as possible. Just use a plastic scrubbie, green brillo pad, or wooden utensil to clean it up. Generous coating of oil all around. The paper towel, as mentioned above, between multiple pans and lids/pots is a must for me. The final step is making sure the vessels are at least cool to the touch, if not ambient temperature, before storage.

2015 FWC Fleet on 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:42 PM

You can also use salt and a paper towel to remove food, like sandpaper. This came from an article on care of cast iron cooking ware. Mine is oiled and has been in 2 plastic bags in the garage all winter. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

If you wash it (just water!), I find that really drying it out is key, and the most effective way is to run it on high heat for a minute or so. It also takes a coat of oil nicely afterwards when it's warm, if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users