Photo
- - - - -

An idea for sleeping 4 in a flatbed hawk - feedback wanted!

fwc flatbed hawk sleeping

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

I love your idea for a bunk bed and highly considered it in my hawk with a rollover couch.

But I switched campers to better accommodate all of us - to the Grandby.

We have a family of 6 - 4 adults and 2 kids.

We can sleep all 6 of us in our setup. Grandby front dinette with a king slide.

4 kids easily sleep on the king bed up top and adults sleep on the full size bed below.

This works great and something to consider for your camper.

You could even keep the short bed truck with the tail gate down if you wanted to make it work.

Edited by DrJ, 14 March 2016 - 02:23 PM.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#12 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

One more comment on what truck to buy, CarlG. If you are buying new to put a flatbed on it (of whatever length) I would strongly suggest you order the "Chassis Cab" configuration. The frame rails in back are flat and will make fitting your flatbed MUCH easier.

#13 CarlG

CarlG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

elmo_4_vt - Yep - bolt through to a backing plate is exactly what the guys at FWC recommended to me when I brought this idea up. That's a nice looking flatbed! You'll have a ton of storage up there. You putting the spare in those boxes, or under the bed?

Durango1 - I haven't decided whether to buy new or used. If I was doing new, I was going to go for chassis cab just so I didn't have buy a bed I wasn't going to use, but didn't realize the frame rails were different. Thanks for the tip!

I've been thinking about the bunk more, and I'm a bit worried about the fabric at the head & foot of the thing sagging. I'd probably want to sew some webbing into it that looped around the two tubes. Either that or fabricate a solid square frame for the cot, and hang it on rails. I imagine a rigid-framed cot would be awkward to manipulate in the interior when you were trying to get it out the way, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fwc, flatbed, hawk, sleeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users