51 replies to this topic

#11 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

I'm 6'3" I personally always enter and exit facing the camper. My head would never hit the awning entering and existing in this manner. I find it much easier to do as well. Kind of like climbing up and down a ladder. It's way easier and safer if you are facing the ladder.

I enter and exit facing the camper too but only have to duck at the door rather than before. I like my FWC rear awning better as it is attached to the roof not just above the door, YMMV of course.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#12 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:27 AM

I enter and exit facing the camper too but only have to duck at the door rather than before. I like my FWC rear awning better as it is attached to the roof not just above the door, YMMV of course.

I'll have to check next time I get into the camper if my head goes above the door and then I duck in, or if it's a fluid motion up and in.  I'll keep an open mind.  It certainly would be annoying.

One of the reasons I got a FWC was the ease of getting in and out of it.  I like the nice wide door.

It's funny, my GF is 5'0" and she sometimes bumps her head when she has a hair clip in her hair.  So as you said YMMV, but mohawks are definitely out  :)

#13 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

I thought fiamma option was expensive. Looks its at least double the price of fiamma. 

http://www.equipt1.c...t--manta--swift

Rear awning is a nice idea but the fiamma is still easier to deploy and pack up. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#14 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

Well the  "Eezi-Awn Bat 270 Degree Awning" is $1,300....my take is that it is a desert sun awning..

Interesting design but the single pivot post attachment and load would give me pause...however I am sure they are well engineered...My Fiamma F45S seems to do the job for our use and it is well made.

Phil 

Edited by Wallowa, 25 March 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:20 PM

I like this idea, although at 46 lbs. it would not be an option I would use.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 gitout

gitout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

My buddy and I purchased 2 of these awnings.  We concluded, they are poorly made.  No where near the quality of ARB awnings (for comparison).  The storage bag is cheap material.  It is heavier, longer, wider than specs we found listed online.  The unit will provide shade but specifically states not "waterproof" and not intended to be used in windy or wet locations.  The canvas material somewhat cheap quality.   We returned them.  

I'd say to look at it in person before buying.  Maybe it will work for you.  At least compare with ARB quality (way less $$$ too).  

Here in the NW rain protection is more important than sun.   :(

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

I like the rear awning I created from the rear cargo cover from our old Ford Escape.

It's simple to use always there,no put up and take down than find a place to store.

Don't know why it has to be such a complicated thing.Why can't FWC come up with a smaller version of the side awning?

Just saying.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

Frank,

X2 on a smaller version of the side awning.  The FWC rear awning is cumbersome and takes a while to put up and take down.  If I know we are going to stay in one place for an extended period I will consider taking it, but not when I know we are dropping the top every day to sight see.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#19 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

With the gas springs on the outside of my Eagle I can't see any good way to mount a more elaborate awning that would be attached to the roof and not just above the door. And then the awning would have to be lifted when the roof was.

It takes me maybe 5 minutes to put up and take down my FWC rear awning and my only complaint with it is when I have to put it away wet inside the camper. I've thought about rigging up some straps so I could just roll it up in place for non-highway use but again the lack of room would make even that awkward. 

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#20 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:44 PM

Hannibal makes a nice awning if you like the bag type. Its a two point pivot .... and if staked down, it can handle some stiff winds. I wouldn't put it up in anything over 25 knots though.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 6.45.32 PM.jpg

Edited by Bombsight, 30 March 2016 - 11:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users