• 40 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:57 PM

DSC08301
DSC08304
DSC08305
DSC08302
DSC08303

Here was my rear awning solution. I mounted a regular aluminum awning rail from any rv store for a bag awning. I turned it upside down and mounted it with butyl tape and stainless screws on the top edge of the roof hanging the rail track over the edge. I finished with self leveling lap sealant. When the camper is parked with the top down and I need to access the interior, I just flop the bag awning over on top of the roof and there is no interference with the camper door. The bag awning is very easily removed also if desired. The awning is a shademaker 6 foot and has the legs that can be staked to the ground or mounted to the camper somehow. This model has plastic sockets for the horizontal beams that mount just below the rail and I glued and screwed them to the rear face of the roof. Works very well so far. Bag awning was $250 on ebay, rail was $10, sealant was $10. I also added a King Jack tv antenna via Ram ball and cable inlet in back wall. Both shore cable and antenna use the same jack. If money and space wasn't an issue, you could do a portable satellite dish also.

P.S. not sure if I loaded pics correctly...

Edited by cerve137, 31 March 2016 - 12:01 AM.

#22 Area45

Area45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:30 AM

Very timely. I've been considering the Oz Tent Foxwing. I believe it's the same item that Rhino Rack sells. 

I've been curious if it would be too much of a hassle to deploy with the roof lifted. I was planning to mount it to my crossbars, but if there's a bracket to mount it to the side of the camper that would be better. 

http://www.oztent.us...-awning-product

Frontageroads.com

Area45 -IG

#23 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

Here was my rear awning solution. This model has plastic sockets for the horizontal beams that mount just below the rail and I glued and screwed them to the rear face of the roof. Works very well so far. Bag awning was $250 on ebay, rail was $10, sealant was $10.

Cerve...very nice.

One thing I can't discern, Did you mount any part of the rear awning bag into the sail track FWC installs at the factory?  Or did you do all the screw all the fasteners into the metal roof molding just above the sail track?

Thanks!

Bill

South Carolina Low Country.  

#24 cerve137

cerve137

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:16 PM

There was a drip rail type thing on the rear vertical face of the roof. I removed that, caulked the holes and replaced them with stainless screws. The awning rail is actually mounted up on the roof horizontal plane and I screwed into the rear frame member. Bear in mind, my grandby is a '94.

#25 maheil

maheil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

Rhino Rack majes a "Flat Wall" bracket that should work with their awning.  I plan to use them to mount my Rhino Rack Sun Seeker awning to my Grandby.  The Flat Wall bracket rivets to the awning and then you have screw holes in the bracket above and below the awning to mount the awning to the camper.  They say to use 2 brackets with the Sun Seeker, but I bough four just in case.  My plan is to put silicon between the bracket and the camper wall as well as in the screw holes and over the screw heads. 

Edited by maheil, 04 April 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#26 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

maheil, you would be better served to use tape caulk between the camper and bracket and then caulk around the bracket. You might want to consider something other than silicone. FWC uses tape caulk everywhere. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 04 April 2016 - 10:41 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#27 maheil

maheil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

#28 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

My buddy and I purchased 2 of these awnings.  We concluded, they are poorly made.  No where near the quality of ARB awnings (for comparison).  The storage bag is cheap material.  It is heavier, longer, wider than specs we found listed online.  The unit will provide shade but specifically states not "waterproof" and not intended to be used in windy or wet locations.  The canvas material somewhat cheap quality.   We returned them.  

I'd say to look at it in person before buying.  Maybe it will work for you.  At least compare with ARB quality (way less $$$ too).  

Here in the NW rain protection is more important than sun.   :(

Hello Gitout

Did you order the Eezi-Awn Brand from South Africa / Paul May @ Equipt Outfitters ?

Or maybe the similar Foxwing awning sold through Rhino Racks ?

We got both brands in here at the factory to do testing before making our final selection.

We are just now installing the first couple of Eezi-Awn Batwing Awnings and are checking feedback from any source we can get.

I talked to Paul May (the exclusive importer for the Eezi-Awn products here in the USA) and he said he has never had any returns ?

Just curious?

Good to know either way, and we thank you for the feedback.

We aren't expecting any problems, buy we will have our eyes & ears open on the forums to see how our customers are doing with this new product.

Happy Camping!

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#29 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:18 PM

Four Wheel Campers is very excited to now be offering the Eezi-Awn Bat 270 Degree Wraparound Awning on our campers ! smile.gif

We have custom ordered our first batch with grey fabric to better match our pop-up camper fabric.

The Bat Awning option price for new camper orders = $ 1400.00

Our service shop can probably (maybe?) install them on most of the older four wheel campers too (on a case by case basic).

If you would like an aftermarket install price for an older FWC, please call our service department for additional details & pricing.

FWC Service Department = (800) 242-1442

Here is the new introduction video . . .

If you don't happen to own a Four Wheel Pop-up Camper but still might like something like this, please contact Paul May @ Equipt Expedition Outfitters, or visit his website.

http://www.equipt1.com/

Pay May is the exclusive importer & distributor of the Eezi-awn products here in the USA.

Thank you.

Happy Camping !

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#30 Area45

Area45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:39 PM

Stan, 

Is there any reason why this couldn't be mounted on the driver's side? To work alongside my existing awning?

Frontageroads.com

Area45 -IG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users