• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#11 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

I've looked at a lot of different utility bed, flat bed, and trailer/hauler bed mfg pages and not really found what I was looking for either. A utility bed could work, but it would need to be one of the relatively rare low bedside versions to not force the camper to sit ungainly tall on a spacer in order to clear the more common 'deep' bedside tool boxes.

I have played around with modeling this. I think that you could actually sit the camper lower on a custom built bed (assuming cab roof clearance) than you can get in a regular pick-up bed as there are supports under it that add height. Start with the camper's actual foot-print and build a frame just for that. Attach it to the truck's frame. Add support stringers to your frame between the rails of the truck frame. I don't think that you even need a floor in that frame, just some thin stock to keep the camper's wood bottom from being exposed to the road debris/grime/weather-induced yuckiness.

Then add the storage compartments as desired & needed. Keep in mind your fuel filler neck(s) and what you might need to do if they need to be relocated.

I don't see a winner in aluminum for several reasons. You need to electrically insulate it where it comes into contact with steel or moisture in the gaps will create a corroding battery. It's weight is 1/3 or so of steel, but so is it's strength. Unless you have a structural or aircraft design and engineering background its going to cost 2x-3x as much as steel and end up weighing about the same.

Your construction plan sounds pretty similar to what I was thinking- start with the footprint, move out to the wheel well/fenders and then construct boxes, bumper, and side rails in the space that's left..

Do you have a lot of fabrication experience? I know there are issues with aluminum, but I've really enjoyed the bit of time I've worked with it and I'm intrigued by the possibilities that come with doing it right..

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#12 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

This guy lives in So Cal and is selling his custom truck bed.

He spent SO much time and money on it, but is moving on to something new.

Will be a great deal for the right buyer.

Let me know if you would like his contact information.

It is sized for his Chevy 2500, Long 8' truck bed.

I think it is still available.

If nothing else you might get some ideas after looking at the pictures.

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• tttt.jpg
  • ttttt.jpg
  • tttttt.jpg
  • tttttttt.jpg

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 30 March 2016 - 07:06 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#13 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

Around here a few years back I saw quite a few GM trucks with a sleek utility bed. Nearly the same profile as the stock bed but with cabinets built in. I saw them new on dealers lots. Maybe you could find a used one.

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:03 AM

I *think* those beds were made by Royale.

Your construction plan sounds pretty similar to what I was thinking- start with the footprint, move out to the wheel well/fenders and then construct boxes, bumper, and side rails in the space that's left..

Do you have a lot of fabrication experience? I know there are issues with aluminum, but I've really enjoyed the bit of time I've worked with it and I'm intrigued by the possibilities that come with doing it right..

I worked as a details fabricator for a Vintage Racing & Touring Car shop and as a Fabricator/Machinist (non-engine) for a Racing Engine shop during my undergrad years. Now I design & Engineer production tooling. I usually recommend "Engineer to Win" by Carroll Smith (Carroll Shelby's Team Race Engineer) to anyone starting out in building something important from metal with not a lot of design or fab experience.

http://www.amazon.co...engineer to win

Even those with considerable fab experience can learn something from this book and I occasionally reference it even now. The Materials section in it makes a LOT more sense than my Materials class textbook did.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:07 AM

Around here a few years back I saw quite a few GM trucks with a sleek utility bed. Nearly the same profile as the stock bed but with cabinets built in. I saw them new on dealers lots. Maybe you could find a used one.

See message #7 in this thread.

#16 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:08 AM

Those Hide-N-Side beds are kinda what I had in mind for the truck bed modification idea, I'm just not sure I have the body work skills to get it done nicely. I've never seen those before, they look great. 

I am in a similar vote. I am thinking about going to the junk yard and picking up a truck bed to practice on. I got quoted $150 for the 6.5' bed from a Dodge Dakota (which is what I drive). I might pick one up later this summer to give it a try.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#17 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

I *think* those beds were made by Royale.

I worked as a details fabricator for a Vintage Racing & Touring Car shop and as a Fabricator/Machinist (non-engine) for a Racing Engine shop during my undergrad years. Now I design & Engineer production tooling. I usually recommend "Engineer to Win" by Carroll Smith (Carroll Shelby's Team Race Engineer) to anyone starting out in building something important from metal with not a lot of design or fab experience.

http://www.amazon.co...engineer to win

Even those with considerable fab experience can learn something from this book and I occasionally reference it even now. The Materials section in it makes a LOT more sense than my Materials class textbook did.

Well with your experience it's pretty obvious your advice is worth a lot more than I'm paying for it.

Seriously, thanks. 

I also just ordered Smith's book since "anyone starting out in building something important from metal with not a lot of design or fab experience

" sounds a lot like me.. 

I'm almost totally self taught so I can do some things really well, but I've got some pretty gaping holes in my skillset.

Edited by pawleyk, 01 April 2016 - 08:16 PM.

KI7AMV

#18 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:09 PM

I am in a similar vote. I am thinking about going to the junk yard and picking up a truck bed to practice on. I got quoted $150 for the 6.5' bed from a Dodge Dakota (which is what I drive). I might pick one up later this summer to give it a try.

Have you seen any builds or write ups where anyone else has done this? I'd be interested to see how it turns out. I think it's a great concept, especially if you've got some body work experience.

KI7AMV

#19 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:20 AM

Well with your experience it's pretty obvious your advice is worth a lot more than I'm paying for it.

Seriously, thanks. 

I also just ordered Smith's book since "anyone starting out in building something important from metal with not a lot of design or fab experience

" sounds a lot like me.. 

I'm almost totally self taught so I can do some things really well, but I've got some pretty gaping holes in my skillset.

That book won't tell you how to do your project, but it will tell you how to design and build it so that it works and lives. It is oriented towards race cars where weight is a much bigger consideration, so some of the discussion needs to be read with that in mind.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#20 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:07 AM

Have you seen any builds or write ups where anyone else has done this? I'd be interested to see how it turns out. I think it's a great concept, especially if you've got some body work experience.

I have seen some write ups where people stuff odds and ends in the voids of the bed walls but nothing notable that I can quote. I have poked around my truck bed and noticed all the extra room in the factory voids. I have next to no skill when it comes to body work though.

Please let me know what you think about the book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users