Photo
- - - - -

Flatbeds: Who has them? How many have been built?

flatbed fwc fleet hawk

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

Not sure where mine fits in on Stan's list, but I do think it was only the 2nd one with the newer full underbed storage.

20160402_161758_zpsmihb12bb.jpg

Don

-

Looks like a lot better fit for the cab over.  Your "garage" forward of the camper looks sweet too.

#22 lzpup

lzpup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:04 AM

My work in progress, not a flatbed model, However I plan on finishing with Custom Boxes for more accessible storage. 

13923382_1207936239251097_80333638336317

Ended up with 10 inches over the cab. Trying to figure out how to trim that down to 4 or 5. 

Edited by lzpup, 13 August 2016 - 04:06 AM.

#23 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

Ended up with 10 inches over the cab. Trying to figure out how to trim that down to 4 or 5.

Might be able to hang some custom boxes under the cabover if you can't reduce the gap through lowering the camper/flatbed. Others have stored tables, chairs, solar panels there.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#24 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

I have a question about the flatbed campers. Last year at a show we sat in various FWC models. I noticed in the larger models such as the Grandby.  That due to the extra deep beds in today's full size trucks the counter heights were bordering on too tall for a lot of smaller people. Are the counters and such lower in a full size flat bed camper? Or do they keep them the same as the regular bed style just to use the same components in the build?

If they are a bit lower I could see this as yet another big attraction of these campers vs a normal slide in. I'm a big man. But my wife is only 4'11". The counters in the Grandby were mid chest high for her.

Edited by Squatch, 14 August 2016 - 06:27 PM.

#25 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

Maybe a basket on bars and a wind deflector on the front of the basket.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 14 August 2016 - 09:42 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#26 RyanOBrian1

RyanOBrian1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:23 AM

Thanks to Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Camper!

I've been seeing you everywhere, keep an eye out for my 2012 white access cab w/ an Eagle :)

#27 MuleHawk

MuleHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:04 AM

On a sort of related topic, looks like RMFW is designing a utility bed for Tacomas. At first glance, it looks like a flatbed. Looks really sharp and has lower COG than the flatbed.

https://www.instagra...?taken-by=rmfwc

I want one on my Tundra!

www.mulehawk.com

#28 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:53 PM

Squatch - we have a 2015 Hawk flatbed and counter height as well as storage were a huge factor for us. My wife is also short. The counters in our camper are 36" which is close to standard height. We go out for weeks at a time and the flatbed layout is much more livable. What truck do you have?

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#29 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:35 AM

Thank you. I have an Isuzu Spacecab.  It's a project at the moment.

http://www.wanderthe...the-moon-truck/

Until it's complete we are currently using our Eagle shell on a trailer from time to time.

Just keeping my eyes open for possibility's for the future. I like the idea of a flatbed on a fullsized truck. Or better yet a direct to frame  style even better.

#30 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:07 AM

Where I've gotten to pondering this: If you're going to build/add storage on the outside (as opposed to a true flatbed model) then I would look at building a frame for the camper to sit in bolted directly to the frame. Get it to sit as low as possible. Then fill in around the rear tires and under the camper as desired with storage compartments. Even a utility bed with a std camper has compromises (departure angle being the biggest and bed depth -> Camper height being a close second), I started there. By the time I mentally trimmed back a utility bed to just what was needed I figured time-wise I was close to starting from scratch.

Edited by ntsqd, 18 August 2016 - 03:07 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flatbed, fwc, fleet, hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users