32 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:37 PM

Can someone give a better explanation about what GVWR means.

My 2013 Ford F-250 + 2014 FWC Grandby, long bed with tow package:

GVWR                     10,000 lbs.

GAWR Front Axle      4,800 lbs

GAWR Rear Axle       6,100 lbs

TOTAL GAWR          10,900 lbs

Truck Fully Loaded   10,020 lbs.

(camper, 2 adults,

dog, & all supplies)

What number should I be comparing the fully loaded truck/camper to?

• If to the GVWR of 10,000 lbs. I would be 20 lbs over.
  • If to the total of the GAWR of 10,900 lbs I would be 880 lbs under

To me this is confusing and I don't know the difference between the GVWR & GAWR.  I don't know whether I'm over weight or well under weight.

Thanks,  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:12 AM

I'm no expert but this link to Ford relates to your question. See note 4 on the "Weight Ratings" pages. Starting about page numbered 72.

https://www.fleet.fo..._SB_Updates.pdf

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 01 April 2016 - 12:12 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:18 AM

GVWR is the manufacturer's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the truck

GAWR is the maximum Gross Axle Rating (capacity) of the axle.

Axles will always have a equal or higher combined capacity than the GVWR.

Since you mentioned tow package, tongue weight of a trailer is part of the truck's payload, and decreases the actual payload of the vehicle ( which is the total of all occupants and items in the truck).

As much as a lot of trucks have large trailering capacities, when the tongue weight is factored in, it sometimes leaves only the weight of the driver for the payload (especially in 1/2 ton trucks). This is legal/legal in speaking as people will load a truck to maximum and still tow a heavy trailer. Tongue weight of a trailer is between 10% and 15% of the gross trailer weight.

And to round this off. there is CGWR  which is Combined Gross Weigh Rating for total weight of  towing vehicle and trailer.

Edited by DSD277, 01 April 2016 - 12:20 AM.

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:32 AM

DSD277 & Paul

Thanks. I'm still confussed. I don't tow anything and the tow is turned off. I still need an answer whether I'm over weight or under weight based on the weights noted in my original post. Thanks. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

#5 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:46 AM

It is a confusing topic.  The total weight your vehicle can carry, including tongue weight of a trailer is 10,000lbs.  That 10,000lbs must be distributed such that the front axle carries no more than 4800lbs and the rear axle no more than 6100lbs.  

You can't add the GAWR to get the GVWR.  So, you are 20lbs overweight in the scenario you describe.

Does that help?

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#6 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:28 AM

Basically, the GVWR is the number to be concerned with. Only in conditions where you're carrying a dense heavy load over an axle ( like dirt ) you'll have to be worried about GAWR. Towing doesn't mean a thing unless you are towing, just another variable to add on when you do.

You never worry about being "under weight". For the most part it would mean you bought more capacity than you need/use ( not a bad thing). Better safe than sorry. You'll never get a ticket for being under loaded.... LEOs can make you park your truck and make you unload to GVW .

The only negative to having a heavier truck than you need is a little more cost, lower fuel mileage and a harsher ride when way below GVW  ( and added fees by the state for license)

If you are worried, just take your loaded truck ( everything you'd take with you on a trip) to a public scale and weigh it.

I've had/have literally a dozen+  trucks.. from Chevy Colorados, 1/2T, 3/4t,1T and up to 2 1/2 and 5T service trucks. One thing I am anal on is not to be stopped for equipment violations.

If you want to post what model and cab of truck and what you're carrying, I should be able guess how you're doing.

One last thing, Ford F250 have been some of the heaviest pickups and with a compatible GVW to Chevy, the lowest payload.

#7 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:48 AM

It is a confusing topic.  The total weight your vehicle can carry, including tongue weight of a trailer is 10,000lbs.  That 10,000lbs must be distributed such that the front axle carries no more than 4800lbs and the rear axle no more than 6100lbs.  

You can't add the GAWR to get the GVWR.  So, you are 20lbs overweight in the scenario you describe.

Does that help?

Sorry that's wrong. Gross vehicle weight rating is the TOTAL weight of vehicle and everything in or on it. This includes people, fuel, engine oil, camper, coffee in the cup holder, tongue weight of a trailer.

It's not the weight the vehicle can carry. That's load capacity. You get that by subtracting the total wet unloaded vehicle weight from the GVWR.  What's left is the load capacity.

Gross axle weight rating is just that. The weight capacity at each end of the vehicle sitting on that axle.

Some scales weigh each axle. Front, rear, trailer.

Take the truck to a Certified scale. Weigh the whole package as packed for camping. If it weighs more than 10,000 you are over weight. If you weigh the vehicle at each axle and either one is over the GAWR than that axle is overloaded.

That said weight ratings and tow capacity are often pretty arbitrary numbers. For many manufacturers the lawyers have more say in this than the engineers. Same vehicle in different markets can have different weight ratings depending on country sold in. Sometimes the springs are different sometimes just gear ratios in the axles. Some times no difference.

There was no Industry standard in the US until a couple of years ago. When the manufacturers agreed to Towing capacity standards several trucks lost a good bit of capacity some gained a little. Many factors including stopping distance loaded are considered. 

Edited by Squatch, 01 April 2016 - 02:06 AM.

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:52 AM

The truck is a crew cab, long bed and the camper is a Grandby. I stopped at a CAT Scale before leaving and minus my wife and dog, with full tank, camper and supplies and the weight was 9,800 lbs. Stopped at another CAT Scale in Arkansas, full tank and wife, dog, and fully loaded camper with a weight of 10,020 lbs. The GVWR on the truck sticker is 10,000. That means we were 20 lbs over.

I can cut back on stuff we are taking, including cloths, not filling up the cooler and taking cases of water, and other drinks. We can pick up when we get to our destination. I can remove the legs, which are 100 lbs. I can also remove water from Porta potty reservoir. There are other items that can further lower the weight. My Engle Cooler is extremely heavy when loaded.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 01 April 2016 - 01:53 AM.

#9 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:06 AM

Safety-wise, 20 pounds won't make enough difference to go through that hassle.  And if you're only 20 pounds over, you're not gonna get stopped for your weight.  You might read stories about insurance claims being denied and such, but I've yet to see anyone say it happened to them or someone they know personally...always that it "can" happen.  And yet it doesn't.  But you're one paying the bills, so do what makes you feel comfortable.

I'm not saying to be flippant about weights...I got a 3/4t because I didn't feel comfortable putting a camper on a 1/2t, even if others do it just fine.  But 20lbs isn't worth worrying about, IMO.

Also, you may want to use tow mode when you're hauling the camper, even if you don't have a trailer.  All it really does is changes when the transmission shifts so you won't be hunting for gears when you're going uphill, it'll keep you from accelerating or riding the brakes too much on the downhills, etc...but it'll be a smoother ride and probably easier on your truck.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#10 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:09 AM

Sorry that's wrong. Gross vehicle weight rating is the TOTAL weight of vehicle and everything in or on it. This includes people, fuel, engine oil, camper, coffee in the cup holder, tongue weight of a trailer.

It's not the weight the vehicle can carry. That's load capacity. You get that by subtracting the total wet unloaded vehicle weight from the GVWR.  What's left is the load capacity.

Gross axle weight rating is just that. The weight capacity at each end of the vehicle sitting on that axle.

Some scales weigh each axle. Front, rear, trailer.

Take the truck to a Certified scale. Weigh the whole package as packed for camping. If it weighs more than 10,000 you are over weight. If you weigh the vehicle at each axle and either one is over the GAWR than that axle is overloaded.

That said weight ratings and tow capacity are often pretty arbitrary numbers. For many manufacturers the lawyers have more say in this than the engineers. Same vehicle in different markets can have different weight ratings depending on country sold in. Sometimes the springs are different sometimes just gear ratios in the axles. Some times no difference.

There was no Industry standard in the US until a couple of years ago. When the manufacturers agreed to Towing capacity standards several trucks lost a good bit of capacity some gained a little. Many factors including stopping distance loaded are considered.

You're right, I was not careful in my wording. I shouldn't have said total weight the vehicle can carry. I meant total weight of the vehicle, including coffee. Thanks for catching that.

Conclusion still stands, you're 20lbs overweight.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users