4 replies to this topic

#1 abarranco2

abarranco2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:34 AM

Hi There-

I am a long time lurker that just picked up a 2015 Hawk Shell for my wife and I. I want to see if anyone can help me figure out how to wire a house battery to the existing line coming straight off the truck's single battery. The power leads simply tie into a fuse panel. My question is, where would the battery isolator go?

#2 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

The isolator is installed between the truck battery and the house battery to isolate the truck battery when the engine is not charging it.  You can place it physically anywhere along the path such as under your hood or inside the camper. So truck battery->fuse or breaker near the battery->isolator->house battery->fuse panel->load.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#3 MotoDave

MotoDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

Blue Sea has some nice diagrams in their installation instructions for their battery isolator (Automatic Charging Reelay, as they call it):

http://assets.bluese...s/990170140.pdf

#4 abarranco2

abarranco2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

Okay....So just so I am clear. 

1. Marinco trolling motor plug that comes into my camper via the outlet in my bed via my engine battery. 

2. Power and ground (with running lights) arrive to my fuse block in the camper that has running lights etc tied into it. 

Here is where I get confused....

Would I simply:

1. install isolator in existing wiring under hood.

2. attach leads to house battery (12v) They are currently attached to the fuse panel.

3. run new wire and attach leads to existing fuse panel so as to still have functionality to my running lights etc...

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

Okay....So just so I am clear. 

1. Marinco trolling motor plug that comes into my camper via the outlet in my bed via my engine battery. 

A.   Your isolator can be between the plug and your house battery or between the plug and your truck battery. Both will work. Fuse both ends.

2. Power and ground (with running lights) arrive to my fuse block in the camper that has running lights etc tied into it. 

B.  I have my running lights coming from the truck lighting and fused separately. How do you turn them off if powered off your fuse panel? Running lights require a separate wire from the truck lighting so they will go on and off with the truck lighting. 

Here is where I get confused....

Would I simply:

1. install isolator in existing wiring under hood.

See A above

2. attach leads to house battery (12v) They are currently attached to the fuse panel.

House battery should power your camper fuse panel, one set of wires.  IF you have a camper main power switch it should on on these wire going to the fuse panel.   The wires from marinco plug should go to your battery can be through your isolator if you mount it in the camper.  NOTE: if you have the truck wire going to your fuse panel it would change the camper battery, just not the right way to do it.  Also your main disconnect switch would not function properly.  

3. run new wire and attach leads to existing fuse panel so as to still have functionality to my running lights etc...

See B above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wiring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users