• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DAS

DAS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

So.. the truck came with a jack, but the jack is meant to just hoist the truck. I have a bottle jack from a previous 4x4 but I don't know if it is strong enough to hoist truck with camper on it. I cannot find a formula for converting the total weight of truck plus loaded camper into how strong a jack should be to change a tire. Anyone have suggestions on this? I have a Ram 350 diesel and an Alaskan 10ft c/o, so lots of weight.

Thanks .. Dale

#2 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

Do you know the weight of the truck or the camper, or the gross combined weight, axle rating?  The jack should have the weight rating on it (i.e., 2.5-ton).  If all else fails, get the truck/camper combo weighed.

#3 DAS

DAS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

I'm going to go to the dump to find out my total weight on the scale once the snow finishes and I load up the camper with water etc. I just don't know what to do with the information once I get it. I'm assuming the jack doesn't have to lift all the total weight,  but should it lift 1/2? 1/4?

Thanks

#4 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

It should be able to lift that axle weight, in my opinion.  So, if you're 5,000 lbs on each axle, I'd get a 2.5-ton jack (or more).

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

I always throw my stock jack away and replace it with a bottle jack. They are cheap and about the same size as the factory jack but much more durable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

The stock jack should be able to lift any wheel of the truck when loaded to max weight. The OEM would have had GVW in mind when spec-ing the jack and probably built in some Margin of Safety that they won't tell you about.

Hyd bottle jacks usually only work in one orientation, straight up. If you're lucky it simply won't work in any other orientation, if you're not it will leak oil. BT, DT.

I treasure the stock jacks from my Toyota trucks. They are purely mechanical "bottle jacks" and will work in any orientation and I have used them for all sorts of non-typical operations, like pushing a leaf spring sideways until it indexed properly in a spring perch.

Where any of these suffer is in soft soil. You will need something to spread out the load or the jack will just push itself into the ground rather than lifting the truck. That can be a piece of plywood or it can be something like one the Bogert Mfg. Safe Jack accessories or one made for the Hi-Lift jacks.

Thom

Where does that road go?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users