• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

You must have the Nor-Cold refrigerator freezer combo. If you want to use a match or the like then you would need a second person outside to light it.

Take the cover on the burner off and have somebody push the red peizo button and see if you have spark.

Here is my post on the auto re-lighter. http://www.wanderthe...read.php?t=1251

Attached Thumbnails

• autoLighter05.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 Old Man Grumpus

Old Man Grumpus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

Great information! :thumb: So, it does need to be a team effort if using the butane lighter solution. The relighter also looks like a reasonably simple mod. Sorry that I did not make the connection in my prior searches.

I also wondered about the idea discussed in the thread, of driving with the propane running. So even at 70mph on the freeway, the flame is sufficiently shrouded?
Old Man Grumpus
Federal Way, WA
www.RIVERRIDER.com
2007 Silverado Crew 1500 LTZ 4x4
FWC Hawk
1/2 Brain

#13 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:16 PM

I lit the burnner Saturday morning and I turned it off Sunday night. That was with driving 160 miles and up to 75 mph. It was always on when I parked.

Looks like those freezer models are very well shrouded.

If I was to stop and get gas my tank filler is on the other side of the truck. If it was closer than I would consider shutting it off when filling.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#14 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

I feel sorry for the frig problems it is a shame they can,t make them bullet proof.
O yes B.E. stands for Before Engle,takes care of all frig problems!
This seems to be one of the main complaints of all campers.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

#15 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:11 PM

I drove from Apache Sitegraves NP to Tucson with the burner going.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#16 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 30 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hey Matt

You are probably doing this already, but here is a quick over-view of the easy way to get the refrigerator started on propane if everything is working correctly.

Maybe the first thing to check is to make sure you are getting a spark outside ? Tonight when it is dark outside, have your wife or a friend hop inside the camper and you stay outside the camper. You, open the lower refrigerator vent cover outside and slide the pilot light port hole cover open. Then have someone inside start slowly pushing the the red "sparker" button on the front of the refrigerator. You should be able to see the spark jumping in there if the ignitor is working properly.

Next make sure your propane tank has propane in it, and that the propane tank valve is open.

Next hop inside the camper and light your 2 burner stove for maybe 5 or 10 seconds.

Next turn your furnace on for a minute or two.

By doing these 2 things you will insure that most any air that could be in the propane lines is blead out.

If you are getting a spark in the refrigerator area and propane is flowing, the propane should light (the gas will fill up outside and create a very small explosion – not a big bang, just a small “poof” noise in pilot light area when it lights).

NEXT STEPS:

Go inside the camper and turn the refrigerator control knob over to the “Flame” picture.

Set the temperature dial to approx. 4 or 4 ½ for the temp. setting.

Push the middle red button in and hold it in. DO NOT release this button – keep holding it in. It should have a smooth feeling to it as you push it in, it should not click. Once you have this button depressed, at the same time you are holding this button in, reach over with your other hand and give 2 quick clicks to the red button on the left. This button should “CLICK” – creating the spark in the outside / back of the refrigerator. Remember, when you are “clicking” the left button, keep the middle pushed in or it will not light. Again, just keep your finger depressed on the middle button, not letting up, and occasionally “click” the other button 2 times ever 10 or 15 seconds..

Keep repeating this process until you can see the little red line / gauge in the small square site window move from the left (white) – over to the right (green). This can some times take anywhere from one to two minutes. So just keep the middle button depressed and keep sparking with the other button.

Once it lights, you will usually here a “POOF” in the back of the refrigerator area. Almost immediately you will see the red line move from the white over to the green.

Please give this a try tonight and let me know what you find.

Talk to you soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• REFRIGERATOR LIGHTING PROCESS.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#17 Old Man Grumpus

Old Man Grumpus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

Stan -- appreciate the response and as you guessed, I have been doing all of the above (except verifying the spark). The propane flow to the furnace and stove is fine. In my e-mail to you I mentioned that the number of required clicks on the ignitor was steadily increasing, and during each attempt I was also steadily holding down the middle red button (safety valve). Worked great in the beginning but gradually was getting to where it took 100+ clicks to get the needle to move. Then this weekend, no luck. So at the moment the likeliest cause seems to be lack of spark in the burner box for whatever reason. :(
Old Man Grumpus
Federal Way, WA
www.RIVERRIDER.com
FWC Hawk
1/2 Brain

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

You never said if you had the tank "Purged" or not. Please let me know.

If you do have spark and a match will not light it then either the propane orvice is pluged or the controlers are not working.

It takes propane and a spark to get a flame.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 Old Man Grumpus

Old Man Grumpus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hi Pat - I did not have the propane tank purged when it was initially filled. So if it contained clogging gunk, it apparently took several weeks to emerge. But I believe you did mention that could happen.
Old Man Grumpus
Federal Way, WA
www.RIVERRIDER.com
FWC Hawk
1/2 Brain

#20 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

If you have good spark and a flame won't make it go (could have a very small flame) then take the tube off and clean the orfice. Propane is cheap for your time. Head off and have the tank emptyed and purged and refilled.

Then run new gas through the line to purge out any remaining crap before re connecting the tube. then you should be good to go...If that is the problem......

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users