#1 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLost in Montana *recalculating*

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:56 AM

***SOLD***

I'm regrettably selling my rig and camper. I'm the only one in the family that can drive this rig, and our family has kinda outgrown the truck camper. I've spent over 250+ nights in this rig (maybe more) and I can't say enough good things about the camper (and the truck).  It's been all over Montana, to the Pacific coast twice, mountains, deserts- I'd estimate 50,000 miles. I hunt, hike, fish, camp and kayak a lot. The camper has never been smoked in. It has seen it's share of beer and wine. Also it has seen my dogs. I bird hunt and my dogs go with me in the truck and in the camper. They have not soiled either (other than hair). If you are allergic to dogs, please stop here. 

First the Camper-

This camper is a boondockers dream come true! 

• Mechanical Roof Lift system
  • One piece Carbon Fiber Roof (no maintenance!) 
  • Roof mounted solar w/ Blue Sky controller, LED (and standard) interior lights
  • Insulated Softwall
  • Fiberglass Exterior
  • 4 corner mechanical jacks 
  • 3 cubic foot 3 way refrigerator
  • 16 K BTU Furnace and a new hot water heater
  • Yakima tracks with 3 crossbars on the roof and a Rotopax mount on the rear
  • Single 30 lb Propane tank w/gauge
  • Dual 6 volt batteries
  • Fantastic Fan 'power vent' in dinette area, standard roof vent in cab-over bed area 
  • 24 gallon fresh water supply with on demand electric pump
  • 3 burner stove and a microwave
  • 3 overhead storage cabinets
  • Full Queen bed over cab
  • Composite fiberglass under bed storage
  • AM/FM CD Stereo
  • Oak interior cabinet Doors
  • Folding Step
  • Ladder
  • Outside shower. 
  • Bunk that can be set up makes dinette into bunk bed

I have owned the camper for 5 years and spent more than 250 nights in it. I have only had it 'plugged in' maybe 10 nights. I have been out for a week in -10 weather- this camper is can take it! The camper is clean but used. We clean it daily while in use, keep the oak cabinets polished, the mattress is 3 years old- It is in great, well cared for shape. 

The truck-

I'm the third owner but have owned the truck for over 10 years. Bought the truck with approx. 75K miles on it.

• ​1998.5 Dodge 2500 SLT Laramie Quad cab, 24v diesel with 5spd manual tranny. 8' bed
  • 202,000 on odo (and counting)
  • VERY MILD Banks turbo kit and exhaust installed when truck was new. No aggressive tuning, no black smoke. Exhaust still in fantastic shape. 
  • 3 pillar guages (boost, EGR temp, fuel pressure)
  • New Borgeson steering box and shaft ($1,000). HUGE difference in the truck! No more wandering truck while I wander the west!
  • Less than 5,000 miles on BF Goodrich A/T 265/75/R16 tires (load range 'E')
  • AR aluminum rims (clear coat coming off in spots- only cosmetic issue)
  • Truck is equipped with the camper package and tow options from the factory
  • Seats have no tears, carpet is in good shape. I have the original and unused carpeted floor mats. 
  • Previous owner had a spray in bedliner using the same exterior color as the truck. Has since faded to an orange color (cosmetic)
  • Truck has been owned and maintained by a mature adult male that uses a truck like a truck should be used. I don't drag race with it, I don't rock crawl with it, I did not super-size it with lift kits and other stuff. When the camper is off I usually, you know, go to the lumber yard and haul stuff home with it. It's a truck. 
  • I have most of the repair and maintenance receipts. The truck has been cared for by a professional with over 20 years of Dodge diesel experience. He knows his stuff. 

Here is the bad -

Camper-

• Slide out battery tray 'broke' during a routine battery maintenance. Two batteries and a frame smacked into the side of the truck (see truck 'bad' below') Poor design for two batteries. I took out the remnants of the frame and have the batteries resting atop boards. Some minor damage to the 'interior' battery cubby. 
  • Outside shower barrel lock is missing (fell out). New owner should simply replace ALL 3 barrel locks with the same coded key. 
  • CD player lid/door broke. We use our Iphones via bluetooth so it doesn't bother us. 
  • One interior light is out (I will replace)
  • Vinyl floor has scuffs (no tears). I will try to buff out. 

That's about it for the camper. It's in really good shape!

Truck-

• Period correct Dodge hood paint job (clear coat just started peeling).
  • 1st gear- the truck occasionally pops out of the first gear gate (especially under load). If you keep your hand on the shifter in first gear it's fine. I suspect an issue with the gate. It doesn't bother me. All gears shift fine. Issue does not happen in any other gear. 
  • The dash is cracked in many places. It hasn't collapsed, but it needs repaired or replaced. There are two options. First, Geno's garage has a dash cover that when installed will keep the original dash from falling in. That should work fine for a long time and is fairly quick and straightforward on the install. Second- Geno's garage also has a full replacement dashboard made from ABS. If I were to keep the truck, I would go for the full dashboard replacement with the ABS dash. It is not a quick install (think a full weekend). While you have the front dash apart you might as well replace the heater core.
  • Factory stereo receiver head unit just died.
  • Dents and Dings- see 'battery tray' above. Drivers side behind quad cab door got a nice little dent. Various dings and dents here and there (two of which come with a great story. Story gets better after a few beers). 

That about sums it up. The camper is great with little work required, the truck is good with some work required. Does the truck run well? Yes!  My son and I went on a 4 day, 1,600 mile road trip to the Oregon coast during his spring break a few weeks ago. We camped along the Columbia River and along the Pacific ocean. Then we hauled back a 1949 Farmall Cub!

968B9C6C-A63D-4AE3-B60C-5CA0FBEFC491_zps

I'm asking 26,000 for both as a set. I have the camper listed for sale on my local Craigslist. My original plan was to sell the camper first, then the Dodge. However I know what will happen- the camper will sell fast, then the Dodge will sell to someone who will immediately turn it into a coal rolling hot-rod. 

I think I'd rather let someone who wants a travelling rig first crack at it! I can be reached at threerun@outlook.com 

Edited by Threerun, 07 May 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#2 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:03 AM

Some pictures-

Trip to Yosemite-

IMG_0681_zpsqi53y4ez.jpg

Through the high plains desert-

DSC02890_zps14e951a1.jpg

Glacier Ntl  Park in January (best time to go!)

Hallmark2.jpg

Blizzard in Boulder MT (-10 degrees during the day)-

1F08B224-31E8-4A69-9F8A-CFB49100554C-464

Edited by Threerun, 20 April 2016 - 01:04 AM.

#3 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:07 AM

Storage under the bed-

7A8C6D4C-2B2B-48AB-850F-FAC3E80CC561-464

A2C5B1B1-01FC-4047-8AE7-B8B35969DDB4-464

Dining area-

82566F3D-256C-4673-BFC8-270482013B6B-464

Carbon Fiber roof makes quick work of domestic details (hanging Christmas lights)-

DSC03078_zpsa9b317ab.jpg

Yes- hunting dogs like the appointments as well. They get pretty pooped out running 40 miles a day looking for birds...

IMG_1307_zps7cab1a9e.jpg

Please note the dogs were NEVER on the bed without a cover on top. Usually I slept in a sleeping bag on the bed, they were on wool blankets. 

Edited by Threerun, 20 April 2016 - 01:11 AM.

#4 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:12 AM

Currently the camper is off the truck and will be receiving a thorough detailing. The truck is getting the same treatment. I will post more pictures afterwards.. 

#5 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:23 AM

I forgot to mention the truck also comes with a Leer truck topper. I don't have a recent photo with on top, but here is one from 5 years ago-

Truck1.jpg

Please note this is 5 years ago. The Leer cap is still in great shape, and the truck cleans up nice, but as mentioned earlier the clear coat on my hood is coming off... 

I also have a pair of snow chains (with ice biters) that would go as well. Very handy in Montana. 

#6 ICEolation

ICEolation

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:50 PM

Hi Threerun.

Nice package.

You didn't explicitly state I don't believe but I gather you're in Montana?  Which town/city exactly?

My partner and I are certainly interested in your truck/camper combo.  Very close to what we are looking for.  Sounds like you've used this pretty thoroughly off-the-grid as we plan to do also.  And in some pretty foul/cold weather by the looks of it.  Assume the insulated soft wall combined with the furnace keep it pretty cosy during winter??

Would you be able to comment for us on a couple of other points:

You've obviously had kayaks etc on top - that's obviously not an issue either whilst driving or when popping the top??

We've not owned a pop-top before - can you comment on what access is like without the top up?  Assume you've still got reasonable access to some parts of the camper?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ewan

#7 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:24 AM

I'm in Helena MT. 

Hallmark (Matt) states the camper is good to -20. I've been in -10 for days and it's good so as long as you don't run short on propane, lol. I got by with just a flannel jacket and jeans during the day, sleeping bag at night, thermostat on lowest setting. 

No issue with items secured to the roof. I've had gear in the basket and a kayak on top, the mechanical jacks lift it right up. There used to be a photo on Hallmarks webpage with a number of people standing on the roof. It's quite sturdy. 

With the top down you can manage inside to gain access to the fridge, closet and overhead storage. During long road trips (if the weather was foul) we would often stop and fix lunch AND eat at the dining table with the roof down. It is certainly not comfortable, but is certainly doable.  

#8 ICEolation

ICEolation

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for all the great info.

Sounds like it would be nice and cosy in there if you keep the propane topped up!   :)

Good news about the roof and attaching gear to it as we'd likely have a fair bit.

Yep, that's exactly the type of situation we were thinking about when you might not want to stuff around popping the top but still need access for food/shelter etc.  Just as a matter of interest, with the mechanical jacks, roughly how long would it take to pop the top?

So my partner and I have taken a bit of a liking to your truck/camper combo.  We'd be very interested in having a look except we're not in the country let alone the state at the moment!  Do you reckon you could send us through some more photos, particularly of the truck (interior, under the hood etc) and perhaps some more of the interior (more zoomed out shots so we can get an overview of the layout, plus some more of the kitchen area etc)?

That would be great.  Cheers.

#9 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

I've never timed the top, but I would guess 60-90 seconds. I'll put a stop watch to it this weekend.  I'm involved in Scouting and i have a camping trip this weekend. I'm taking the camper so I'll snap some photos on Sunday when I get home. 

Also- I did receive a call yesterday from another gentleman who seems serious about purchasing the truck and camper.  He's working out a fly and buy for week after next (May 7-8).  I'll let you know if it falls through. Current status would be 'Sale Pending'. 

#10 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

It'll sell fast at the market price. Best of luck with your new setup!!

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users