3 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

OK...I noticed that my RideRite airbags require 42 psi on left and 29 psi on right to put the rear wheel wells within 1/8" of being at the same height [top @ 36 1/2"].  Same for rear of camper; right is still 1/8" higher than left with those airbag pressures.  This is with all fluids aboard.

Our 2016 Hawk has the works...130 L Isotherm frig, 6 gal hot water heater, out side shower, propane tanks, furnace, sink and cabinets and I believe the 20 gal water tank all on the left side of the Hawk...right side has awning, dual batteries, side dinette and a couple of cabinets.

So the question is:  Is a 2016 Hawk heavier on the left side when wet?  

And would that be why I am seeing a difference in airbag pressures to level the camper right to left.

Those with a first generation Tundra [ours is an '05 AC] and airbags; do you use different airbag pressures to level out your Hawk?

Thanks as always for any pearls of wisdom or WAGs!   :D

Phil

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

Phil, I believe typically the drivers side is heavier. My front dinette has 20 gal. water tank at the front under the front window. It is my understanding the water tank is in front for all models.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

Phil, I believe typically the drivers side is heavier. My front dinette has 20 gal. water tank at the front under the front window. It is my understanding the water tank is in front for all models.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks!  Makes sense that the water tank would be centered...and with all my appliances on the left plus my fuel tank [26 gal] for the Tundra is on the left..but truck empty was almost level before putting on the airbags.

Still wonder if others routinely run different air pressures in their airbags to level the camper/truck bed.

Phil

#4 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

Our camper left side is heavier than our right (cabinet row, propane) and the truck is the same since the fuel tank is on the left.  Actually, all our vehicles have the left side heavier than the right with the fuel tanks all on the left.  I assume the left should be heavier than the right to compensate for the crown in the road and so reduce tire scuffing caused by always slightly turning the steering wheels left.  Our truck/camper left heavy tracks perfectly straight on all roads unless shifted by the wind.  Tire wear so far is nearly the same on both sides.  Left heavy is not ideal for clover leaf highway exits (banked curves help in this situation) but road crown exists on many more road miles to drain rain water off the road.

Edited by iowahiker, 30 April 2016 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users