Photo
- - - - -

Buying used Hawk - please help us pack for first trip!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:31 AM

Greetings all,

We are leaving our days of ground tent camping behind and are buying a used 2014 Hawk, meeting the seller in Nashville and taking the long way home on a short 4 day trip.    My wife, our 8 month old son, and our 90# siberian husky will be along for the trip.   I'd like to make sure my wife has a good of time as possible to ensure many future trips, so have a few questions for the Wise Collective:

1. Propane - I am guessing with two tanks I can use the 2nd tank that isn't hooked up to the camper to run our usual camp stove?   Is this correct?   I plan on bringing our usual camp cookware set, camp table and propane stove to do our cooking outside. 

2. Bedding - for a 3-4 night first trip, should we try to do anything with the bedding or just bring our sleeping bags?   Our son will sleep between us up top.   The weather should be pretty decent so I am not too worried about temperature.   It sounds like lots of folks use various egg crate mattress toppers or similar, not sure if we should try OEM first, or plan on getting a topper from the start.

3.  110V - is the 110V outlet in the Hawk just on when hooked to shore power?  i.e. a converter would not be standard equipment?   We have a converter in our Land Cruiser which we've previously used on camping outings and the only time it gets used is to grind our coffee beans in the morning.   So I am really asking if we need to bring whole beans or pre-ground!

4.  Tools - the camper is 2 years old and has been used 6 nights.  Anything special I need to bring outside of my normal small tool kit?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

#2 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:33 AM

One more important item....  we are aiming to swap the camper from his truck to my truck in the rest area parking lot.   We obviously have the mechanical jacks and will bring along my Dewalt drill....   I'm hoping this goes smoothly.   My Tundra was just into the local FWC dealer to have the install package, eye bolts and wiring installed.  Anything else to consider for the first mounting?

I've done my reading and plan to be diligent about checking the tie downs multiple times during the first trip. 

#3 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:42 AM

2 year old camper with only 6 nights in - that sounds like a winner.

The propane can be used to run your outside stove. We do that for time to time.

The mattress density has improved over the years and is much better. You won't know if it works for you until you try it out - but my 2015 grandby is great. I don't need a topper with it.

110 volt will only be active with shore power.

Hope that helps,

What an exciting journey!

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#4 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:44 AM

Bring an extra battery or two for the drill. 

I can go through more than one battery taking it off my camper dolly and putting it on the truck.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#5 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

I have been on the road for a month now in my new to me 2013 Hawk.  I had is only a few days before I had to depart, so little to no prep.  I figured I woudl pick up what I needed on the way.

Beyopnd basics for eatoing/cooking, I bring a basic toolkit, same as for any vehicle, notghing special.  We found the cushions much better then my older Grandy, found no need to add more foam. Since my trip was Seattle to Florida and soon back, it is in warmer climates and I just bring fleece blankets and a flannel lined comforter for colder nights.  We do not bottom out in the cushions, and my son is over 220lbs.

The AC outlets only work when connected to shore power unless yours has an inverter, most do not.  I bring a 400W inverter along, rarely need it, if ever over many years now.  Hey are fairly inexpensive these days.

Make sure you have a 25-50ft Extension cord for shore power as some hookups or homes might be a fair distance.  I have a danfoss compressor 12V fridge and can run for a couple days on my 2 70AH AGM batteries.

I bring a dual USB charger adapter to plug into one of the 12VDC sockets under the counter, handy for recharging your phones and such.

folding chairs for lounging around in more comfort then a typical picnic bench. Hitch step for easier access through the door.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:58 AM

Ask the current owner to charge the camper batteries before you get there.

If you do not have a bar-be-que tank to Coleman stove hose, get one. The two 10 lb tanks have the same connection as a gas grill.

Bring a couple of 2 1/2 gal water containers with fresh water to use rather than use the camper water until you have sanitized and flushed the camper fresh water tank.  It could have 2yr old water in it.

Our 2014 Hawk mattress is very comfortable. We use a double sleeping bag.

Bring some Porta-Potti chemical if you plan to use it and also some rolls of Porta-Potti TP

Bring an ice chest for food just in case.

Bring a selection of the small flat blade fuses and a DMM if you have one. 

Bring a 30 amp female to standard extension cord plug adapter, an extension cord, and a 30 amp male to standard extension cord socket adapter if you plan to stay in a campground with hookups to use the showers some night. 

Bring a short hose like a washing machine hose for the sink drain and a Homer bucket or collapsible grey water bag

Bring a short stool suitable for you and/or your wife to step onto the tailgate.

Bring a small rug for the floor for your dog to sleep on and absorb any inclement weather foot prints. 

Bring a good sense of humor for the inevitable night time surprises in a new sleeping arrangement several feet above the floor. 

Have fun.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

I know it sounds stupid but my wife and I are not smokers. Had one of those bic fire starters first trip off grid. It stopped working and had no matches :( I KNOW be prepared but it was a PIA in the mornings had to use outside stove for coffee as it has a starter ;)

Also if no extra batteries you will want vice grips for the lift jack attachment tool.

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

Things to also remember (consider).  I know these are basic things you probably know but the "routine" part of it will come after a few trips.

Do not over clamp the roof to the camper.  You should be able to pull and clamp it down with 1 or 2 fingers.  Make sure the canvas is tucked into the camper before starting to clamp it down.

Lock the door of the camper and turn off the propane before driving away.

Be sure to bring a coffee maker (we use a jetboil and press as it's much faster than the stove).

Paper towels, handi wipes, etc. 

I'd ask the previous owner about : when was the water tank flushed, propane tanks filled, etc.  Make sure they show you how to light the furnace and test it along with the refrig, fans, etc.  When I purchased my Eagle (used), the circuit board had gone bad. 

I always find a volt meter to be valuable.  You can test the battery, make sure it's getting a charge, etc.  The monitor in the camper is only partially useful.  Remember if you have a battery isolator, the camper battery won't charge when you are driving if it's voltage drops below some threshold.  We "discovered" that on a long trip and wondered why the battery hadn't charged after 8+ hrs of driving.

Have fun.  At first all the "things" seem to be numerous but then you find your routine and it'll be smooth.  How do I get down from the bed?  Did I turn this off?  Is this on?  :-)

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

1. Make sure you clamp down the buckles after dropping the top.

2. Close all the skylights.

I learned both of these the hard way. The top of the camper only came up about six inches at 60 mph.

Steve

#10 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Make sure all clamps are open and clear before lifting the roof up. You can do a lot damage very quickly if one clamp is left on.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users