Photo
- - - - -

Buying used Hawk - please help us pack for first trip!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#11 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

Bring a few quick links just in cause the turnbuckles aren't long enough. FWC also uses quick for this their install.

http://www.homedepot...07900/202328203

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#12 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

Bring a few quick links just in cause the turnbuckles aren't long enough. FWC also uses quick for this their install.

http://www.homedepot...07900/202328203

+1. I needed four quick links for my 2013 Hawk. I had had a 2002 Hawk before, glad a HD was close. Bring extras and return if you do not need them.

#13 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

Awesome responses everyone, thanks so much!

Sounds like I should be doing the swap in a Lowe's parking lot with hopefully a nearby Target.

Does anyone know what plugs or cords come standard with the FWC if any? I'm sure the owner will pass along whatever he got. I'll bring an extra heavy duty extension cord and will look into the Rv style connect mentioned above. Most of the tent sites we've used at public campgrounds have a 110 outlet connection if anything so not sure if we'd need anything fancy or special.

I am building a 2x4 ladder for the Hawk to sit on to accommodate the taller bedside of my Tundra. Do I need any sort of rubber mat or can the camper sit directly on the lumber/plywood ?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#14 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

Billharr - quick links attach to the camper, right? Then the turnbuckle directly to the truck. I'm sure I'll need some since I'm building the platform to raise the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#15 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

There should be a 30 amp female (blade) to 15 amp male shore power pigtail adapter with the camper. Then you can just use a standard 15 amp extension cord.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#16 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:38 PM

Just checked with the seller - he will be including all the cords, adapters and RV hose he got from FWC when he bought the camper.   One propane tank is at 90%, the other has never been touched.   He's also leaving in a little trash can and some bags, a step stool and a little broom.    Sounds like we'll be race ready!

#17 rilcombs

rilcombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

If you have access to two power drills, bring them both.  It's a lot easier to raise/lower the camper off/on if you do it front to back (or back to front I suppose), rather than one corner at a time!

Enjoy!

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

You never mentioned solar panel [s]....remember off grid you live by the DC amps you carry in the battery or batteries if you have two.. of your Hawk...ditto on advice to get the 400w inverter; we have a small Coleman Inverter that ground our coffee beans at 0530hrs this morning as we watched the sun rise over the Seven Devils/Wallowa Mts. from a 5,000' absl ridge in the middle of nowhere.  Sweet!

Someone mention tailgate...we took the tailgate off our '05 Tundra AC before the '16 Hawk went in....very glad we did; much easier to enter/exit and a loss of a lot of weight.

Speaking of weight..once you decide that you will leave the camper on; take the jacks off...less weight and easier to navigate tight routes off road.

Review the manuals for the appliances you have...someone mentioned your furnace needed to be started..ours is self-starting, sparker....ditto with hot water heater, but you need water in it..both require propane and remember to turn on propane and let it sit for about 15mins before using the appliances including stove...our stove boils water faster than a JetBoil and is very nice to use...remember that sink will only drain if outside cap is removed [drain hose or not]..

We have a 2-way fridge no need to level it like a 3-way and it doesn't use propane...check yours.   I concur on water tank perhaps being funky...remember when filling the water tank or hooking up at a campground that your system can only take, I believe, 45psi..we have a small regulator on our hose...tip:  fill water tank then run pump with hot water tap in sink on to fill the hot water 6 gallon tank and then add another 6 gallons to your main water tank [our is 20 gal].

Check specs on your tires and pressure them up to near max for the load and for fewer punctures...

Check turnbuckles after a few miles of bouncing around and then at intervals until you are certain they have not loosened.

Open door before raising or lowering top..

Good luck and have fun!

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 02 May 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#19 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:55 AM

Make sure the door is open when you try to lift or lower the top. The air has to be able to move. Many people have horror stories about bending things that shouldn't be bent. I felt mine before I forced it. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#20 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:05 AM

while mom is feeding the little one and the husky is busy guarding the campsite....read all the instructions, labels, tabs...test everything

and by all means.....have a wonderful time... :D....you'll figure it all out

Edited by Rusty, 03 May 2016 - 02:05 AM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users